Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Home Made Snorkel Input

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JEBSR, Jul 26, 2005.

1. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

I Am Looking At Making A Snorkel For My Truck And This Is What I Have Came Up With So Far. Any Input Or Pics Would Be Apprediated.

I'm Thinking Of Buying A Cold Air Kit For The Tbi End, Silicone Hose To Pvc, But Don't Know How I Want To Go Through The Fender. This Is Somewhat Of A Daily Driver (only Cause It's Fun To Drive) But Spends A Lot Of Time On The Trail. Mostly Hits Deep Mud And Creeks.

2. gambit420s

gambit420s 1/2 ton status

you could try one of these K&N Plenum
    but read it closely
    summit price P/N 85-1060 $190 each

You might want to use 2 and cut em apart and weld it together but then you'd be cheaper building it from scratch. it prob wouldnt be that hard to have fabbed up.
    and if you run it all the way out the fender and up the pillar you might need a large tube or 2 4" tubes as to keep the flow up.
    I would also put a scoop on the top to keep air fed into the pipe as a straight cut would cause suction at speed

given a 350 revving at 6000 rpm you need 100.7725899 sq in of filter area so you would need two plenums joined together...

*edit* just found this: RAM AIR BOX

But you might want to check the sealing on those to make sure its watertight, and theyre cheaper too

Last edited: Jul 27, 2005
  3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Run a search. Comes up often. Try this thread for some cool ideas. :waytogo:

4. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

Snorkel

Those Are Nice, But To Much Money For Me. The Cold Air Intake Has That Piece For 60.00 It's Just Not As Nice And It's Plastic. The Main Thing Is What To Use Outside Without It Sticking Out As Far As The Fj-80 Kit Some Are Using.

5. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

i made one for my s10 blazer out of 2.5" pvc and a few angles. at the top i took a 3" to 2.5" pvc adapter and drilled holes in the 3" part. then i took a 4 inch pvc cap and epoxied it over the 3"end of the adapter. mocked everything up so my angles were just how i wanted them and used some pvc cement stuff to adhere everything. im still trying to figure out a way to hook it to my air cleaner. it looks good but im not sure how well it will work. i unforetunatly have no pictures of it but i spent less then 15 dollars on it. might be more for a v8 due to the larger diameter pvc required for proper airflow. it hugs the front a pillar real nice and doesnt stick up over the roof of the vehicle, it almost flush. when i go to make one for my k5 im going to route into the glove box area.

6. captaininsano

captaininsano 1/2 ton status

Coffee can, silicone, duct tape, dryer hose.

7. puckhead

puckhead 1/2 ton status

Exactyl!!!