Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

home made steering box brace and/or repair , have you done it?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by four_by_ken, Dec 19, 2001.

1. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Anyone make a home made brace and/or repair using a section of frame off another vehicle and welding it in. I am thinking about it and want to get some information about it. I know a guy or two that have done it, but have not had a chance to ask them yet.

Ken H.

'86 K5 in parts
    1-ton 44 TSLs
    454 BBC, 350 trans, 205 transfer
    Rust free in Michigan!
    <P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by four_by_ken on 12/19/01 02:58 PM.</FONT></P>

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Re: home made steering box brace, have you done it?

Sounds like you have a mis conception of what the brace is. What you have described as a frame repair not a brace.
    The brace goes off the back side of the frame tattaching with 3 of the 4 bolts that hold the steering box on. It then joins the front crossmember about mid way (where the hole is off by it's self). THis tirangulates the frame and transfers some of the load onto the cross member reducing the stress on tha frame. I looked at making one. A machinest could do it but understand it has some complex bends to make it fit. For the price of the ORD product it's not worth the time. The ORD brace is top notch quality and that first run up your street and around the corner you will notice an improvment.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

3. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

$100 it's worth a couple hours to figure it out. I made mine, only the front one haven't put the back one together yet have the pieces just not the time for that project. The front is basicly same as ORD but this site says to remove the small corner brace, I elongated the holes and put it back in the truck. If I ever get a digital camara I'll show pic's

<font color=red>Let me at it I can break it</font color=red>

4. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Your right, I just mistyped. I will change it. :-)

Ken H.

'86 K5 in parts
    1-ton 44 TSLs
    454 BBC, 350 trans, 205 transfer
    Rust free in Michigan!

5. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Buy the ORD brace.....you will notice a difference as soon as you put it on! The best investment I've made [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.community.webshots.com/user/vwryda>The Ringmaster</a>

6. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I've heard of "fishplating" which is where you basically weld a plate on the back of the frame, basically boxing it. After Xmas and my LockRighted 12 bolt I'm buying a frame brace.

That jeep thing? Yah I understand it....... Like my Blazer? <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5>http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5</a>
    Jim