Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Home made street legal bead locks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mad-Dog, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

On a 15" wheel the spacing for 16 rim screws is 3.12"

Get the rim screws and bit from Moroso or Summit (2 kits on a 4wd)

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

bad idea. Rim screws are meant to go in through the side of the bead. When you air down where does the tire want to go? Away from the bead. What about the screws stops that? very little. Drag racers are worried about spinning their rims inside their tires when they air down and get really sticky. We are worried about our tires pulling away from the bead. If you use rim screws all you will do is ruin a good set of tires.

There is a guy on pirate who is puting screws in the rim. He puts them on the other side of the bead. Creating a lock between the outer bead and the screws. Problem I see with that is, when you tires roll down under low pressure, those screws turn into shredders. Also however many screws you use, thats how many times you just increased your likelihood of slow air leaks, or massive air leaks.

3. bugspray

bugspray 1/2 ton status

I read a thread on PBB about a week ago. He had a similar idea but went up through the rim. The screw holds the bead against the rim. It never goes through the bead. When he tried it (on snow), he had noe problem. 2 or 3 trips and the tires never spun (didn't shread it).

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i am in the tire bissness and just get the bead locks and be safer . screws are for drag racing type stuff. and most guys put tubes in cause thay will leak after the screws are in.

5. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

I asked the same question a while ago. I saw a few ads in offroading magazines, and I just couldnt believe they would work in offroading situations.

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126348

Im curious about those Staun internal beadlocks. When I get the new wheels and tires, I might try a set.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Staun's are a nice idea. Myself I'd just go with Stazworks double locks, but the Staun setup works, and if you want to try it I'd say go for it.

7. DesertDueler2

DesertDueler2 1/2 ton status

Close, but we put the screws in so the tube doesnt get torn. Slicks require a tube. If you dont use rim screw, and the slick spins on the wheel, then it pops the tube

Dan

8. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Stauns work very well, but are also very pricey. One of the guys i wheel with got to product test a set of them, he did everything he could to try and pull a bead and they held. I even took video of him driving on his side in a ravine with the stauns holding strong. The tires never even spun on the rim. If only they werent so dang expensive.

As for the screws, leave those for the drag racers.

9. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

Where do you get them?
    I have been looking every where, i cand find any for sale, ilke the idea alot, i want to run them

10. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Not sure where, to be honest im not sure they are for sale yet.