Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

home made sway bar disconnect. (directions)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ChevBlazin, Apr 30, 2002.

1. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

I dis-connected my sway bar this weekend and was surprised how much better My blazer handles off road. The truck stays more level and handles bumps much beter than before. I would have checked the flex, but my brake lines are kind of the limiting factor right now, didn't want to risk it. Any way, I still like the freeway ride with the bar attatched, so I figured I would make my own disconnects. I gathered all the parts at the local Fleet Farm, however, Menards carries almost everything needed. Everything cost me $15, and will be an additional 5 bucks for a 3/4" bi metal hole saw (dont have one). Anyway heres a list of what things I bought. (P.S. this set-up is on an 86 k5 if it makes a difference)

* 2 3"x3/4" Hitch pins w/ multiple R pin holes
    * 2 1/8" R pins
    * Flat steel bar 1/4" x1 1/2" (came 4 feet long, but dont need that much)
    * 2 3/4" washers
    * 2 3/4" lock washers
    * 2 steel sleve/ spacers 3/4 ID x 2" long (these are used on tractor 3 point hitch set ups as bushings or something) other similar steel tubing will suffice

I'm not sure I can describe how it goes together very thoroughly, but I will give it a shot. The flat bar steel will be cut into 4 separate pieces about 3- 3 1/2" long (havent taken exact measurements yet). Each end of each flat steel plate will have a 3/4" hole drilled in it.
    You will use the two large original 3/4" bolts that hold the sway bar to the axle for this set up. Place a lock washer and washer (just as precautions) on each of the original 3/4" bolts. Then slide the bolt through one of the steel plates you just cut and drilled, then through one of the sleve/ spacers, and then through another steel plate. Bolt this combination up to the stock bolt hole on the top spring plate. Do the same on the other side.
    Now with the two metal plates pointing up, there is the other 3/4" hole you made at the top end of them. This is where the sway bar hooks on with the hitch pin and R pins. You can make a bracket that hooks to the passenger side spring bump stop to hook the sway bar to when it is dis-connected. If you know what the ORD disconnects look like this should (I hope) make sense. When I install mine I will try and post some pics. I figured It was worth a shot instead of paying 4-5 times as much for pre fabbed ones. Good luck to anyone that tries.

2. Sounds good, I have had my sway bad dis-connected for a couple months now, but would like to hook it back up for street driving. Also another thought is that you could make the pieces of steel longer to compensate for a bigger lift. I will try to make these real soon and I'll let you all know how it goes. Later 80K20

3. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

As far as making the steel pieces longer. I read on the ORD site that they make theirs as short as they are so there is no possibility of them hitting the frame while flexing.

4. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Got any pics? <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/albums/albun21/aad.sized.jpg>These</a> are the ones I built.They are sorta like ORDs but with a delrin bushing instead of a polly one where the bolt is.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Wow, those are beautiful! Nice work! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

6. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Thanks /forums/images/icons/smile.gif