Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Home making a rear driveshaft...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PsychoticDeadGuy, Nov 20, 2005.

1. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

could i go pull a front driveshaft for the CV part and put it on my rear driveshaft like this [​IMG] or will it not work? do i need to get it done professionally? are the front u-joints the s-44 style or are they 1310?

2. gauder

gauder Banned

Can you cut your own driveshaft and weld it back up?

3. PsychoticDeadGuy

i just wanted to add the CV part. I could cut and weld it if i needed to. i would then have to take it down to get it balanced. so, will just the CV part work with my 1350 u-joint driveshaft if i used conversion u-joints?

4. gauder

gauder Banned

If you use conversion u-joints, anything is possible. You will be adding length though, so the shaft will need to be shortened.

5. driney

driney 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I may be wrong, but isn't the yoke part of the CV joint? I don't know if you can find a front slip yoke driveshaft.

6. PsychoticDeadGuy

[​IMG]

can i just get that piece off of a front driveshaft and use different u-joints?

7. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

if u can weld it up i dont see why not....but im no pro

8. PsychoticDeadGuy

i wouldnt need to weld would i? i would just lengthen the wheelbase and use that one piece off of a front driveshaft right? anyone know for sure or have done it?

9. gauder

gauder Banned

Lengthen the wheelbase with what, zerorates? I guess that would work.

10. PsychoticDeadGuy

yep, i have a pair of zerorates out back right now but there just for lift right now, if the driveshaft will work then i will move the zerorates.

11. gauder

gauder Banned

I don't know about doing it that way though. It looks like it would add roughly 3" in length to the shaft. You really want to run a 3" zero rate.

I had to make a new shaft for the wife's Tahoe. What I did was cut an old shaft on the end that didn't have any balancing weights on it and welded it up to the new length. Not getting any vibes out of it and it's been 6 months.

12. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

i ment weld the cv from the front shaft to the rear shaft

13. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

i think i asked the same thing b4.. and outta all the mixed answers i got no.. who knows though..

14. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

its not tha simple. you can't take the H yoke off a CV and put in using regular yokes and expect it to last. the yoke on the driveshaft and the slip yoke must have a centering ball and cup. if you don't have these, it will not split the angle between the two ujionts and will vibrate horibly.

also you can't use a conversion ujoint on these. the other yoke must fit inside the H yoke. you can see somewhat in the pic. with a conversion joint, the driveshaft joint is larger and won't fit inside. and won't even let it rotate at an angle.

15. wazzabie

wazzabie 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm not sure i understand what you are doing.... shops have a ballancer to true drivershafts

16. Cornfield creations

Cornfield creations 1/2 ton status

Would the front driveshaft (which would be a smaller diameter than your rear shaft to begin with) have enough angle in the cv joint before it maxes out? You would have to do some modifying. I just got my shaft from HAD and that cv joint is huge and has tons of angle. I believe its a 32* cv. I'm not running it at that with a 4 inch lift but depending on how much angle you have I believe you should check out to see if that cv joint will be sufficient for your rear driveshaft angle.

17. sebban

sebban Registered Member

What if you took the slip yoke part from the rear drive shaft and cut it and turned it down and then made a adapter plate that you weld together to the slip-yoke. Then you could just bolt the front CV part together with the yoke, and then cut the "tube", adjust the lenght and weld it back together. Then you won't have the problem with the U-joints and balls and springs cause all that will be left untouched.
    What do you think? Because I also have a front drive shaft lying around... ;)

18. PsychoticDeadGuy

i am just trying to make my rear driveshaft a CV style so i have a little more angle. I am running a 5-6" lift and want to keep my u-joints alive for a while. all i would be using from the front driveshaft would be the CV part. that is it. and put that inbetween my slip yoke and my driveshaft to get a little more length and angle. my driveshaft is new and i dont want to scrap it and get an all new one made so i am throwing out ideas to help with the angle at my t-case. ive already lowered my t-case 1.5" and i want to tuck it up as much as i can without blowing up u-joints.

19. Mudgod

Mudgod Registered Member

The answer to your question is NO. Somebody gave you a long answer, but I don't think you got it.
    The drive shaft in the pic you show us has a slip yoke in it. That is part of the CV joint. The CV joint in that pic is more than what you have a cir. around.