Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Home network setup - Win98 and XP

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jarheadk5, Sep 14, 2003.

1. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

OK, I got a router (either Netgear or Linksys), and I want to network my desktop (AMD K6-2 350Mhz, Win98) and my laptop (Dell Inspiron, P4 1.6Ghz, WinXP Home) so both boxes can access the Net through my cablemodem and share files between them. I've got the hardware end down (Ethernet cable from modem to router IN port, E-net cables to both boxes from router OUT ports). I hear that XP is pretty much "5 mouse clicks and you're done", but 98 can be a bitch. Anyone done this, or have advice?
    I'll be doing this in 3 weeks when I finally move back home from the Big Adventure.

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I suggest putting 2000 on your desktop. 350MHz should be able to handle 2000, maybe even XP if you have more than 64 MB of RAM.

3. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I tried and wasn't able to do it.. I finally upgraded the other computer to XP and it was like 5 clicks.. I read it is supposed to be able to be done.. But I couldn't..

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

do it the way i do i have a usb cable from the modem to my wifes pc and a networking cable from my modem to my pc and we are both on the net and she don't get bumped offline if i restart my pc /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. driney

driney 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I setup a network with 3 machines running Win 98SE. The installation software for the router took care of all the details. If I can do it anyone can./forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Put 2000 on it. I couldn't get my stepmoms comp up on the network with 98, installed 2000 and I don't miss 98 a bit.

This machine has always been 2000 and its a 350 mhz PII.

7. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

How did I know this Micro$oft adventure would get more expensive?? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

So now I need to get a hold of Win2K and install it? Can it be installed over 98, or is this a clean start? And where do I get 2K? Can I buy it someplace, or do I need to "acquire" /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif it?

8. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I think you CAN install it over Win98, but a "dirty" OS install is never a good idea. It's always best to format and do a "clean" install.

9. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah, if I end up going Win2K I'll definitely format and start fresh. I thought about that some more after I posted that ?, remembered the problems a friend had installing Win95 over Win3.12, then AGAIN with 98 over 95, and decided to go the fresh route if I do it. I'll learn from his pain...