Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Home painting questions

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by 77crewcab, Nov 30, 2006.

1. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

I am a total newb to painting but have some painting I want to do frome small items to a full repaint for a car. I have read several articles about setting up diy paint booths in the garage and I have a few questions.

1. My home a/c unit is in a closet off the garage and I worry about getting paint fumes and dust througout the house even with making a 2x4 and plastic booth.
    2. Ventilation is a concern and I have heard many stories about the dangers of the paint fumes getting in a common box fan and causing a fire. So what is the real scoop and how should it be set up?
    3. I have heard that there is some paints that are more eco friendly as far as fumes etc that are good to use in home setups. Could someone tell me if there is any drawback to using these paints?
    4. I am initially looking for maybe a single stage, solid color paint for the car. Can I then add detail painting like pinstrips or accent paints over this and then clear the whole car.
    5. I have also thought of trying to repaint the burb I just got to go from a 2 tone blue/whiteto a single color blue. Just looking at the exterior no door jambs or anything just something to make it all one color after some minor body work. What would I need to do for this, again using single stage?

2. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Read an article today about the Auto Air Colors water based paints. Anyone used them?

3. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

hmmm, guess I'll throw out some o-pine-yuns for ya..

couple things... I've painted dozens of cars in my garage with just standard window fans and never had an issue... Especially with modern hvlp guns, it's much less of an issue...

As far as overspray, etc getting thru the house, you'll be fine.. But I will tell you this. if your garage is attached, it WILL stink your house up to holy h*ll for 8 to 12 hrs... it will wreak pretty good...

as far as single stage, graphics, clear. yes it can be done.. but can be done MUCH nicer in base/clear and is much easier..

as far as 2 tone to single color... sure, prep the whole truck... but when you go to spray, put 2 coats over the inset first, then go to coats on the whole truck..

we tryed the water based at the bodyshop back in the late 80's, and HATED it... but then again, body guys are stubborn in there ways.. but I wouldn't recommend it..

if you need help setting up your intake/exhaust, etc, shoot me a pm...

5. GruntHunter

GruntHunter 1/2 ton status

ryoken,

After getting my freshly repainted K5 back from the body shop I noticed a few tiny 'specks' here and there that I suspect is probably dust that got into the paint, even though the guy had a complete paint booth. The top coat it clear coat. Will these eventually get rubbed out from washing or waxing or do I need to do something to rub them out now?

6. ryoken

may or may not, depending on what the dust actually is... you could hit em with a little polish when you wax to see if they come out...

You could get them out easy enough with some spot sanding with 1000, then 1500 or clay bar will work too.. little polishing and it's gone...

I'd let the paint cure for awhile before you do anything, then hit em if nescessary... Your really not supposed to wax fresh paint anyway..

I can go into detail on buffing, etc if you need when the time comes.... There is a thread around here with some extensive descriptions of compounds, etc by me..Maybe try an advanced search, me as the user, compound as keyword.

7. GruntHunter

GruntHunter 1/2 ton status

OK, Thanks. Yeah, I figured I'd better wait a month or two. It's not really to big of a deal. I'm supposed to pick it back up tomorrow. The tailgate was removed and completely redone, including new glass and seals. I hope I've got all the rust caught now.

8. ryoken

Rust = a bodymans mortal enemy! :haha:

9. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Could you explain how to shop for a compressor for the HVLP guns? I don't want to spend a lot of money on a huge compressor just for the paint job but don't really understand how they are rated. Most that I see have the recomended uses on them but show the siphon style guns and state that they are either for intermitent use or not at all.

I talked to our painter at work today (CAT dealership) and may wind up having him paint the Burb I just got (that is the two tone one I asked about) All I really want is to fix the flaking paint and clear coat and all be one color. I am thinking of just using an agricultural implement single stage on it. It is a satin black that we use a lot and I really like the way it looks. That will do well for the burb.

The Nova I am working on I think I worked out a deal with the local Community College paint and body dept to have them paint it for cost of materials. But I would still be responsible for doing the body work and prep. Not looking for a show car finish but just a decent job. Probably two tone gunmetal and charcoal metalic. The body work on both vehicles would be done at my home and while I could use the paint shop at work on the weekends, that wouldn't be very convenient for my schedule. (have to be in and out in 4hrs) So I am wondering for things like etching primer, sealer, and filler primer do I really need to look at a HVLP gun or could I do it with spray cans.

10. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

It's friggin snowing here and this guy is worried about his A/C!!!:haha: :haha:

But no, the condenser that sits outside doesn't bring any air in from outside.
    It only cools the freon. Or pulls the heat out, whichever you prefer.

11. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

HUH??? I am talking about the a/c-heatpump return not the condesor. Since the return air pickup and filter are located in a closet off the garage I was concerned about fumes and dust getting picked up there and causing problems.

12. garlicbreath

Sorry brother, you must have some newfangled teknolowgy down there in texas then.:bow:

I have never heard of an A/C system that pulls hot outside air into the house.

I am not yanking your chain, just have never heard of a system like you discribe.
    But if it does pull outside air, I would be worried about the fumes.

13. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

On a heat pump it doesn't pull in hot outside air. There is the typical condesor unit outside and then the one inside that houses the actual blower fans, evaporator and filter. When the heat is turned on a valve reverses the presures where the evaporator becomes the condensor and the condesor becomes the evaporator. In this setting the heat from the condensor is blown through the vents. Think of it like a heater core in a truck. This is an all electric unit which is common down here as opposed to a seperate gas/oil furnace. The problem is the unit that holds the filter is usually in the garage. I have already experienced the mistake of using degreaser to clean a transmission too close to the closet door. There is nothing worse than waking up the wife to the smell of degreaser fumes going through the house in the middle of the night.

14. Insomnya3AM

Insomnya3AM Registered Member

Yep. It's amazing stuff.
    The rep that sold it to me drank it right in front of me. Blew me away.
    Gave it a shot and it lays down PERFECT. It's really the next big thing in paint.

WAY better than any water paint from before. Worlds different.

15. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

When spraying it does it have as much fumes as other paints? Really interested in this, any other info you can give would be helpful.

16. Insomnya3AM

Insomnya3AM Registered Member

The bodyman I associate with doesn't even use a mask when laying it down. It's just that good.

17. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

What price range does it run?

18. garlicbreath

The salesman DRANK the stuff and the body man won't wear a mask when spraying it?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

That could only mean it won't last long. Or those two are nutty.

19. k204dr

k204dr 1/2 ton status

what color did he fart when he left? :haha:
    I can't imagine drinking paint!:D