Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Home Recording

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Inu-Hanyou1776, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

Alright, thankies so far to the people who have responded concerning brother and I's guitar feedback problems. Now I have something else that's different.

Day before yesterday I spent a good chunk of my Christmas money on a microphone, desk stand, and a 1/4"-to-dual RCA plug adapter cable to hook the mic up to a tape deck I have that doesn't have a dedicated mic jack on it, just a pair of RCA-in jacks for hooking it into a stereo system. Hooked it all up, and I got nothing when I tried to record, even though I did have the mic turned on. I'm thinking part of my problem is that the adapter cable was meant for a stereo-type 1/4" plug instead of the mono one the mic has on it. Could the mic not be producing a strong enough signal too?

I'm wanting to record myself playing so I can upload it and you all can finally listen to my talents.

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Yeah, the mic doesn't have enough juice... It has to be amplified or powered, or you have to plug it into a recording device with a "Mic level" input. Your tape deck probably has a "line level" input, which means it will only record already amplified sources, IE CD players, TV, radio, etc.

Try one of the guitar amps, plug the mic into one of them, and use it's Line out to your tape deck. That will be better anyway as it will give you some control over the mic's level. Just be wary of feedback, it will be much worse with a mic.
    Also, your computer sound card probably has a mic level input. It will take a 1/8" jack, and you'll need some kind of decent recording software, but it will be even easier to get it online that way.
    I might have something jumbled, it's been about 6 years since I did any actual studio work...:whistle:

3. Inu-Hanyou1776

Thanks for the idea Ratch. I'll try it after I get back from Wal-Mart with grandma (going there to buy me a pair of jeans or two). The drum sounds going through the mic won't damage the amp will they?

4. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

It won't damage the amp. You can record on one of those tape decks that have a built in mic you can get for $20. SPL will be high, so it may be distorted, but that all depends on placement of the mic/deck while recording. May take a few tries to find a good spot.

5. Inu-Hanyou1776

Okay, that idea didn't work at all. Still got nothing on tape.

6. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Maybe its a blessing in disguise that we don't get to hear you :D , but either way I'm sure your a lot better then I am.

7. Inu-Hanyou1776

In playing ability, I think I'm now on par with the drummers that were in the marching band when I started marching band in 8th Grade, and several orders of magnitude better than the drummers in the school band now. I hope I'm mistaken, but I believe the current drummers in the school band can't even play a lot of the basic rudiments, and probably don't know how to diddle. :( :( I know for sure I can probably blow 'em away when it comes to kit playing, since I can get on my drumkit anytime I want during the day, and they can't really.

EDIT - One thing I learned today while trying to practice is that when you have double beaters, MAKE SURE you wear real shoes! I tried to practice today while just wearing house loafers, something I could get away with using my single pedal, and the practice session didn't last too long because my right foot was getting pounded by my kick drum beaters.

8. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Adjust the beaters up. At least they're rubber on the back, my Iron Cobra's have just that on the back of the beater....iron. I play with shoes off.