Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Home remendies....stuck lifter...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ben, Jul 13, 2004.

1. Ben

Ben Registered Member

Remember now, I'm not in the states where I can trot on down to the local parts store and buy what I need...
    so...I have to improvise.
    Sticky lifter that's tapping. I recall someone used a little bit of ATF into the crankcase to help free it up as well as clean any grunge in the engine. Thoughts? Any other ideas I can use? Will ATF work? Or is it snake oil?

2. backcountry

backcountry 1/2 ton status

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Problem is, when you "free up the grunge", it usually winds up settling/hanging in much worse places. Even in Asia I'll bet you can get a new lifter. Assuming you've checked to make sure the push rod, and rocker assembly are ok; and that you don't have a bad valve or broken spring, then there are no fixes that I know of for a collapsed lifter.

On an loosely related side note, I once fixed a Pinto 2.3 with around 200k on the odo and severely worn cam followers (OHC) by dropping a washer down under the lifters to give enough pre-load to keep the followers from randomly falling out. It was still running 40k later when I *gave* away the car for the *3rd* time... It became a dirt tracker so I didn't get it back again... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

4. trailblazer86

trailblazer86 1/2 ton status

Be careful. Years ago someone told me that a little diesel fuel would do the same thing.
    Yup! Cleaned the engine real good. So good that a chunk of sludge came off something and blocked an oil passage in the crankshaft.
    Too bad. This was an old Studebaker 283 installed in a 68 Chevy truck.
    Advice is just that you must make the final decision.
    The cheap way usually ends up costing more.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

kersoene in the oil works but like noted sludge can go other places and too much kero well thats pretty thin oil.

6. backcountry

backcountry 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    kersoene in the oil works but like noted sludge can go other places and too much kero well thats pretty thin oil.

[/ QUOTE ]

I use synthetic oil; don't have to worry about sludge!
    /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif