Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

home scanner recommendations please

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by mrpoorboy, Mar 10, 2005.

1. mrpoorboy

mrpoorboy Registered Member

i do not know jack about scanners, except for the fact that we need a basic one. it is for a rural home. base or portable? what brand? do i need an external ant.? any help would be great. thanks

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Personal I'd get a hand held. That way you can take it with you. Do you have a Radio Shack near you ?? I've found they can be pretty helpfull programming the scanners. They can recomend what one would be best for your area, program it, and set you up with a out door antenna. Is the best ?? Probley not, but they are convenent.

3. mrpoorboy

mrpoorboy Registered Member

i appreciate the help. i do have a radio shack near by. is the only advantage of a hand held over a base unit convience? or is there a perfomance issue as well? thanks

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

As far as I can tell, the hand helds preform just as well as the base units.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Brand names??

I have several scanners,but all are older ones that only go as high as 512mghz--I've had good luck with Regency and Bearcat scanners--I hear the Uniden and Cobra's are good quality too--Radio Shack ones are a take-off of another brand,and get more frequencies than most others(some go as high as 1200mghz!)--

I'd like to get a newer one,many of the police and fire channels in my area are upgrading to the 800mghz band--anything to cost you more dough,just like cassettes and 8 tracks changing to cd's..most of the police talk in "codes" now,or use cell phones and laptops,you dont hear much on the scanners like you used too--makes me wonder if its worth upgrading,or even monitoring them anymore..:thinking: .:crazy:

6. trailblazer86

trailblazer86 1/2 ton status

I would recommend an outdoor antenna as high as possible. Good coax also.
    RG58 is ok for CB and very short runs at higher frequencies.
    It sounds as if you are in the country so you will likely be some distance away form the signal.

VHF and above is more or less line of site or straight line communications.