Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Home security system

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Dec 25, 2002.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

First, don't reply to this post with anything that a criminal may find helpful in disabling your security system. I'm sure if my nieghbor got curious about the CK5.com sticker on my truck and stumbled across my posts, he may be able to tell more about me than I want, especially security info...
    So, with that dis-claimed:

What're your opinions on home security systems?

What kind do you have or want, and what features would you incorporate into one if you were designing it (aside from firearms and explosives)?

If you wanted to circumvent a system, what would you try?

I have a great opportunity to install new wiring and sensors for a security system, while rewiring just about my entire house, and breaking open walls, etc.
    I'm planning on designing some very non-standard features and fault tolerant-redundancies, but odds are I'm only doing this once, so I want to get as many ideas as possible right now.

My objective is to have a system that will function 90% to alert us to and monitor an intuder, and 10% to deter/defend against intrusion.

2. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

My big noisy Doberman does a pretty good job /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Highly recommend one or 2 /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Plus it's highly entertaining to watch people jump off your porch when you open the door /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Redunacy redunacy. One thing I'm curious about, do they go down when the electricity goes out? Also, in your neck of the woods, does the law show up when the alarm goes off?

I'm not too big on them, but if I were to get one, it would be something "different," you know, airraid sirens and machine gun fire over the speakers, but I would want one that wouldn't be set off by something. IR sensors seem to be a pain cause I've seen them set off by mice and spiders and such.

4. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    IR sensors seem to be a pain cause I've seen them set off by mice and spiders and such.

[/ QUOTE ]
    yep, Mice used to set our's off at the cottage all the time /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif, finally just quit useing it.

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Get a chihuahua, mine barks every time that stupid dominos comercial comes on and make a doorbell noise..... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Motion light work pretty good for me. Most theives will leave your stuff alone if they can't rip you off in the darkness. They sure don't want to be seen!!! Plus I like how it lights up everything when I come home at night. My place is covered with the motion light, not a single spot on my lot can be walked acrost with out getting the flood lights on ya. I have been thinking of getting glass breakage sensors and hooking them up to a standard alarm with a loud siren for when I do go out of town, but don't think I really need it.

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

My place is covered with the motion light, not a single spot on my lot can be walked acrost with out getting the flood lights on ya.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I'm a ninja, one with the darkness, your lights can be defeated. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

We all (the family) use ADT here...John's mom uses hers daily, ....her's has zones- that she can turn on seperatly...like a heating system(??) . She has a remote pad in her bedroom. She can also turn on her motion detectors seperatly
    I know we have set her's off before and it would make just about anyone run...ADT immediatly calls the local PD, (usually the state police respond), if we set it off, and call them quickly enough, with the password, they will not call the cops...but if the cops show up and it's us, they usually are not happy.

We used ADT in our shop down here as well, and it use to go off ALL THE TIME from mice--- it wasn't as nice a set up as her's...we couldn't shut off our motion sensors,

my thought, talk to a security consultant- and wire for it, even if your not planning on putting it in now, at least the wires are there..

Brandy

edited for security purposes!

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Cool, thanks for all the replies.

The system will be on an uninterruptible power supply with I think a couple days juice. So, cut the power to the house, the security system and essential systems will continue to function without a generator until the batteries get too low, at which point it will tell you "sorry, I've done all I could, I'm used up!", then gracefully shut everything it's running down. My mindset has sorta become a little different since I started working in a "Mission Critical" environment at work...
    I'm planning on doing the remote motion sensor floods outside, with motion detectors in the trees controlling lights on the house, with light interrupt detection (I'm dying to build some circuits with optical detection abilities), so if a light gets taken out, they all go on immediately and trigger an outdoor alarm. The sensors in the trees will be focused on the house and a certain amount of feet away from the house, so there'll be a perimeter that once you step in, the only way out is inside the house or far away from the house.

For indoors, I have a second piece of 14guage running to each cieling fixture, and will have them terminate at ajunction or breaker somewhere to connect to the UPS, and during an alarm, all the fixture lights will turn on. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about motion detection, though, my kids occasionally get up in the middle of the night and move around. That part I may just leave up to the security system installer (I'm going to get a regular residential system in addition to the home-brew system I'm looking for ideas on).

Keep the ideas comin', and thanks for the pms if I haven't replied yet!

10. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I have a Vector system in my house. My father originally got it for my Grandfather after he was attacked by some people at the house. This system is pretty basic as far as fancy gadgets, but I did accidently set it off one day and the police showed up about 10-15 mins later! There is alos a keychain remote with the system. You can carry it in your pocket and if you are outside in the garden or somethign and attacked or approached by someone, you can set the house alarm off from the keychain.

I would like ot add some sensors in different places and stuff in the near future.

THis alarm also has the feature stated above where you can turn different sones on and off. I like your idea of having the lights come on when the alarm goes off(no where to hide)...

If i had a choice, I would run motion and fire sensors in every room as well as glass breakage and movement sensors on all the windows and doors. I like the idea of a key pad in the bedroom.

If i think of more I will post it. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

11. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

We have a combination of motion lights backed up with guns. I've got a few hidden around the house ready to go. Most likely overkill but you never know.

12. ChevyDrivnRdneck

ChevyDrivnRdneck 1/2 ton status

I have a system.....but all I use it for is to see motion in the house on the keypad lights....2 rottweilers, 12 guage and a 9mm work good.....think I'll be upgrading to a .45 soon though /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I like having the 9mm next to the bed. It doesnt have as much kick as the .45 does. When I was in school maney years ago, I guy tried to get into the crudy trailor through a window that me and some roomates lived in. I put a shot past him and never saw him again. There were some people crashed out on the floor drunk spending the night and I think every one of them filled their pants! Didnt even bother calling the cops. Strangly enough, either did my neighbors. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

combination of motion lights backed up with guns

[/ QUOTE ]
    Sounds about like my buddy, theres a handgun in about everyroom and shotguns in the closet!
    I like motion lights, I might do a camera attached to a motion detector on the outside. I'm not big on the sirens stuff, theres ways around almost everything.
    /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

15. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

cameras.
    I am going that route next.
    I want to be able to positively ID the thieving scum so I will be 100% certain who I am looking to harm is the perp.
    dogs are annoying, but I got one now

16. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Some advice from me to you. Generic as is all the other stuff.
    When the installers come out have the main alarm box put in a bed room closet or a closet away from the key pad. They like to put it in the coat closet near the front door and key pad. Not a good idea as there is usually a 30sec. delay before the alarm actually sounds(default). Set the delay to like 15 sec.
    They have motion sensors for in the house that will not go off unless your over 65lbs. so that maybe an option for you. Other wise you can set the alarm for when your at home to turn the motion sensors off, and only use permiter sensors.
    I live down a private drive, which I share with only one other family. My thought is to have a driveway sensor that buzzes or blinks a light when someone comes down the drive so I can have some advance notice as well. Something like that could be incourperated into your design.
    If you do use a alarm company, and it will be monitered. Make sure its monitered for 24hours and the call center is NOT in your general area. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

My thought is to have a driveway sensor that buzzes or blinks a light when someone comes down the drive so I can have some advance notice as wel

[/ QUOTE ]

At a house John's family bought a few years back the previous owners had a driveway alarm..it was really cool- on the left side of the driveway was a post- about 2ft tall, with a big cable that you could drop across the driveway- you flip a switch at the main house, and it turned on...it was "removed" when it snowed etc... when someone drove across it, a "doorbell" would chime, it also had a set up for a specific light to flash- it worked with 1 outlet in the house, and 1 in the attached garage...it also had a doorbell thingy in the detached barn...VERY cool!

of course, I could almost spit to the end of my driveway from my house, so no reason for one here, but this driveway was almost 1 mile long, and had some corners etc.. they put it far enough up the driveway that people turning around wouldnt set it off.

Brandy

18. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Our driveway's too short for something like that, too, but it sounds pretty cool...

I'm thinking cameras in the trees as part of the motion detector perimeter... Maybe those body-wieght adustable motion detectors in the trees, too. To avoid raccoons setting them off.

19. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Walther P99 45cal with plenty of clips
    Nough Said

20. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Workin' on it...