Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Home Speakers Running From Auto Deck/Amp??

Discussion in 'Audio' started by 2Dogs, Mar 29, 2006.

1. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Hello,
    Looking for box speakers that will work and look OK in a motorhome - much more choices from home model speakers. Is there any issue running home speakers from auto decks or amps?

Thanks.

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Other than the fact that most home audio is 8 ohm and car audio is 4 ohm it's pretty interchangeable.

More resistance just means that the amp will run cooler and the speakers won't play as loudly as their 4 ohm counterparts...but we're not talking huge differences here.....maybe like a 3dB difference.

I've run houseboat systems with car audio equipment connected to home speakers on the roof, and we were able to kick-out-the-jams with no problems!!!! :)

3. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I find that unusually funny.

4. 2Dogs

Cool. The coach was spec'd with Speakercraft - probablt the home equipment variety....? I will pull one to check the ohmage.

I plan on running an amp to these additional speakers (rear channel) if I can run the deck out put and retain full front and rear out puts. In english - run an amp on the rear channel while running speakers from the front and rear deck channels. Anyone know if decks can handle that or are they switched when you hook up an amp?

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Typically, you can run both the amplified (internal) amp in the headunit in addition to driving the pre-amp outs (RCA jacks) to external amps.

The only question is how the fader will behave when you use both. Sometimes the pre-amp outs fadable, and other times they are fixed output regardless of the fader setting.

This will be left as an exercise for the reader.... :)

6. 2Dogs

It will not be the best balanced system for sure. There are 2 pair of speakers running on the front channel and 2 on the rear. The 2 on the rear go back and WAY back - 1 pair mid coach and the other pair in the bedroom. I want to add an amplified pair on the back channel that can be placed behind the drivers seat.

The config of the original speakers leaves a bit to be desired as the front left is too close to me - too bright. With the new additions I hope to detune that spot for music down the road.

I will also be upgrading to a deck that has surround for camp TV watching. ARRGHHHH, TV camping?!?! Oh well, keeps the wife and kid happy.....