Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Home stereo... help me please... please help me... I'm so cornfused... please, someon

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Capman2k, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Yes... So I have this ancient home stereo system that my friend gave me when he moved to another state... It's like from back in the day... well, it has a CD player, so I guess it's not totally old... But it's way old by my standards....

ANYWAY... It has a primitive surround sound feature, and I had 6 speakers that I got for free hooked up to it... Also my 2 12" subs before I put them in the Jeep, that was way badass :saweet:

So the other night I was taking the vaccuum to the carpet, making it beg for mercy... You see, I have never vaccuumed the carpet in my room, and my mom's done it probably once. I never realised the benefits of using that machine... My carpet looks brand new, and I now have a renewed interest in keeping my room clean, and I've vaccuumed every day since :)

I was running the thing around the room, having a great time watching the carpet go from gross to pretty frickin' sweet, when some speaker wire got caught in the spinny brushy thingy under the vaccuum... I stopped it, and yanked the wire out, but it was too late... The speakers on the right side of my room didn't work.

I figured I just screwed up the wire or something, so this morning I decided to rewire all my speakers. I needed to do a cleaner job and run the wires around the room instead of across anyway. I hooked up the first (main) right speaker, and it worked fine... Then I did all the left speakers one at a time to make sure they all worked on their own... I unplugged the one right side speaker, and went to plug in one of the others to see if that one worked, and I couldn't get it to go, even hooked up to the left side... So I gave up on that, and decided I could live with 4 or 5 speakers for now, until I could get my hands on some more freebies... I went to plug the main speaker back in, and it didn't work... I did some messing around, using new wire, old wire, plugging it into the left side, the right side... Now none of my speakers work...

I know I should just suck it up and go get a modern system, but I don't want to... Anyone know what the heck could be going on with my stereo? I had to plug my DVD player back into the TV and it sounds like crap after watching movies with good speakers and kind-of surround sound since December... I can't take much more of this...

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Buy new speaker wire, it's cheap. Rewire all the speakers one at a time with the new wire. Check setting like ballance and fade. That's all I can think of without being there too mess with it myself.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Some have speaker fuses....

If its an older "receiver" style stereo,it might have fuses for the speakers,to prevent the output transistors from being fried if the stereo speakers get dissconnected accidently while its turned on,or if the + and - wires on the speakers touch each other (short curcuit)..

In your case,I bet the speaker wires got pulled out or shorted,and it blew the speaker fuses...not all stereo's have them,and some that do you have to remove the case from the "chassis" to find them(unplug it first! :rolleyes: )..hope yours has fuses,and they blew,for stereos that dont usually fry the amp transistors when that happens...you'll need new speaker wires most likely if the vacuum damaged them...

I have a "Sherwood" stereo that has surround sound--I noticed if all the speakers aren't connected properly,sometimes NO sound will come out of any of them--put back the wires that came unplugged,and they all play again!--it has fuses,but I never had to replace any yet,and I have "vaccuumed" my speaker wires a few times too...sucks getting them out of that "beater bar" rotary brush attachment,doesn't it?? :crazy:

4. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

If'n I remember correctly, in some systems if one speaker isn't working none of them tend to want to.