Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Home theater A/V equipment. (What ya got ??)

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Z3PR, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm running a JBL DCR6002 [​IMG]

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Re: Home theater A/V equipment.

[​IMG]

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Re: Home theater A/V equipment.

Just waiting for my 57" Widescreen Toshiba 57H93 to be delivered.

4. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

What kind of speakers do you have? You can have the best components in the world but investing in good quality speakers is the best way to go. I'm assuming you have a pair of Apogee electrostats. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
    BTW: A true audiophile would have a turntable tossed in there. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    What kind of speakers do you have? You can have the best components in the world but investing in good quality speakers is the best way to go. I'm assuming you have a pair of Apogee electrostats. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
    BTW: A true audiophile would have a turntable tossed in there. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ] All the speakers are JBL "Northridge" series. The 4 main speakers are the N26ll-Z and the center channel is the EC35. The sub is a 12" JBL 250 watt with the LFE system. It sounds really good. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Would Martin Logans count.....? I've got a set of their Aerius dynamic/electrostat hybrids and the electrostatic center channel that matches it.... $$$$$ /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

7. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I have a higher end Kenwood matched set. It isn't the most amazing thing in the world, but I love it. The speakers are top notch, with multiple speakers in each box. I didn't sell my soul for it or anything, but it's great.

Pioneer 5 Disc DVD Changer

27" Flat Screen (Sanyo)

I can get pics later but it isn't important

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I am cheap , so don't laugh , walk in my shoes first . I have a hand me down kenwood VR 209 5.1 dolby receiver , fisher cd player , KLH sub and satellites , digital cable box , VHS and a PS2 for DVD's . My TV is for video only . I have a Vr309 in a box but it stopped working on surround channels , it only works on bypass . Sooner or later I will get something better with component inputs and Svhs plugs again ( why I miss using the vr309 ) .

My copmuter is a system too , I can watch the game/race/news/movies while I surf here /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. spearchucker

I've never listened to any Martin Logans, but I think that most any electrostat has better clarity and seperation than any cone type speaker. With the Aerius, are you able to get good bass response with only an 8" woofer or do you have a sub also?

10. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    I've never listened to any Martin Logans, but I think that most any electrostat has better clarity and seperation than any cone type speaker. With the Aerius, are you able to get good bass response with only an 8" woofer or do you have a sub also?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a Velodyne FSR-18 that seems to have the bass covered.... /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

I like the speed of electrostats too. It's tough to play full-range unless you have a panel that's about 6 feet tall and 3 feet wide, so they don't fit into many rooms! The Martin Logans seem to be a pretty nice compromise of speed and clarity in a smaller sized speaker.

On the flip side, electrostats really don't have the SPL to do a full-on home theater experience at 120dB.......so there's always a catch.

11. spearchucker

[ QUOTE ]
    I like the speed of electrostats too.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Probably has something to do with low mass to surface area ratio of the driver (ribbon). /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    On the flip side, electrostats really don't have the SPL to do a full-on home theater experience at 120dB

[/ QUOTE ]
    I'd much rather have something that sounds good and reproduces the music accurately than something that'll make me deaf.

12. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

For watching movies, got a mid 90's Harmon Kardon receiver, a set of Cerwin Vega surround speakers, and a jvc DVD player. Nothing fancy, but thats just the movie sound.

For music, Old school Yamaha CR-2020 reciever, 2 channel, 480 watts RMS total, feeding into a set of Cerwin Vega RE 12" RE series, i accidentally blew my OLD Bose acoustomass, those sounded amazing, but obviously couldnt handle the power anymore, they blew at 75 watts. Pioneer phonograph, the model is escaping me, Kenwood cassete deck, an older Technics CD changer, and a Sony Minidisc deck. I miss the old Bose speakers, the Vega's are nice, but they just dont compare /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif