Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Home Theater Systems

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by JROSS, May 15, 2003.

1. JROSS

JROSS 1/2 ton status

What is the yellow video jack for on the back of satelite systems for? The coax cable brings in the signal to satelite, then from there to the TV. I have A/V jacks that go from the satelite receiver to the main receiver and then a video jack going from the main receiver to the TV, but if I disconnect the coax going to the TV I lose the picture. So what purpose does the Video jack serve, is it just to enhance the picture?
    Thanks.

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I belive it is a video out for when you hook something like a video camera to your sat recivers vidio in. I am just guessing so.......??

3. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

prolly the video out in case you don't want to (or can't) use the S video(coax looking one) By the way I don't think you need that video cable going from your AV receiver to your TV.

4. JROSS

JROSS 1/2 ton status

Don't have an S-video Tv, but By my thinking the Video cable going from my stereo reciever to the tv should make it so I don't need to coax cable coming from my sat receiver.
    If I had a s-video could I eliminate the coax cable?

My thout is that I need the coax to carry the signal and the s-video or regular video are just used to enhance the picture.
    /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

5. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Don't have an S-video Tv, but By my thinking the Video cable going from my stereo reciever to the tv should make it so I don't need to coax cable coming from my sat receiver.

[/ QUOTE ]
    As long as you run a video cable from sat box to AV reciever and you never want to use your TV's speaker's

[/ QUOTE ]If I had a s-video could I eliminate the coax cable?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yes.

[/ QUOTE ]My thout is that I need the coax to carry the signal and the s-video or regular video are just used to enhance the picture.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Use the RCA jacks for better quality. Not coax.

6. JROSS

JROSS 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Use the RCA jacks for better quality. Not coax

[/ QUOTE ]

I did this but without the Coax I had no picture. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    What is the yellow video jack for on the back of satelite systems for? The coax cable brings in the signal to satelite, then from there to the TV. I have A/V jacks that go from the satelite receiver to the main receiver and then a video jack going from the main receiver to the TV, but if I disconnect the coax going to the TV I lose the picture. So what purpose does the Video jack serve, is it just to enhance the picture?
    Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ] Yellow is video. The way I run my home theater is everything runs through the receicer. The only thing going to the TV is the video cable (Yellow jack marked as Monitor on back of receiver to video in on back of TV.)All sound if from receiver, speakers in TV shut off. Cable box to receiver, DVD plaver to receiver, VCR to receiver, PS2 to receiver. Everything sounds great. What kind of A/V gear do you have ??

8. JROSS

JROSS 1/2 ton status

I have a sony, don't remember the model, but its set up similar to yours. I have all my video and audio going from their components into the receiver and then one video cable going from the receiver to the tv. I have a coax theat brings the sat feed to the sat receiver. My thought is that is all the coax I should need, but I tried removing the coax from the sat rec to the tv and lost the picture.

9. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Did you switch your TV from the coax input to the video input? Check your menu on which input you're using. You may need to read the owners manual for the TV to use that input.

10. JROSS

JROSS 1/2 ton status

Now there's something I didn't think of I'll try that tonight. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Did you switch your TV from the coax input to the video input? Check your menu on which input you're using. You may need to read the owners manual for the TV to use that input.

[/ QUOTE ] I think you nailed his problem. I didn't think of that one either till you mentioned it.

12. JROSS

JROSS 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the help, It was the TV video setting. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Yeah I just got a DVD player finaly and had to switch mine over to use it. My Sony Wega TV has a TV/ Video input key on the remote so its easy.