Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Home theatre speaker question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Dec 29, 2002.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'm setting up my new living room, and I ran some speaker wire to the rear corners of the room then down to a receptacle box that will be behind our entertainment center. I have two massive, really nice forward cabinet speakers that will mount on each side of the E.C., and four small bookshelf speakers that I'd planned to use as satellite's in the wired corners. Our current audio setup is a pair of tiny Sony speakers from a junked sony stereo system, and when I hooked up the future satellite's they sounded like poop, way too midrangy, which I can't counter with eq because it will eq the cabinet's improperly.
    The physical placement I'm setting up is going to make a really good aural field, but it's going to sound terrible with these speakers.
    So here's my question:

What make/model is a good, full sounding pair of speakers?
    My requirements are:
    Must be lighter than 3 lbs apiece
    Must be wall/cieling mountable
    Cabinet must be no larger than 8"x4"
    As cheap as possible! I'm way over "budget" on this room!

Any home theatre experts wanna give a guy some advice?

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

3. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Don't buy Bose...Boston Acoutic and Yamaha make small speaker w/powered sub systems that will way outperform at less cost...I'd go with the Yamaha for around $600...great performance at a reasonable cost...just my .02... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

PM Gandolf. He does this for a living.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

6. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ok, first of all, are you running a home theater processor? Or just a 2 channel receiver? If your running 5.1 or 7.1 then the processor should have a system built in to change the levels of the surround speakers seperately than the fronts. Next, for surround speakers I have always used M&K for the high end stuff and MTX for the middle of the line stuff. I usually always do in-wall or in-ceiling speakers for surround but have also used the M&K small boxes with wall mounts. I don't think you would be dissapointed with either of those brands /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Also, if your processor has pre-amp outputs for your rear channels you can run a seperate amp for them with it's own EQ or if you want to get really fancy throw in a pair of RAIN 31 band EQ's, one on each rear channel /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

7. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Usually if you buy a matched set of speakes it sounds alot better (no matter the placement) than a mix of speakers. IMO
    Some people get lucky using 'these' as fronts, 'those' as rears, some 'off the wall' center and its sounds good.
    I use a nice receiver and dvd player with a package set of KLH speakers and a similarly self powered subwoofer and I came out great.
    receiver- teac d9100 $300 (about 3 years ago) they are $150-200 now
    Samsung dvd-p421 -about $150
    KLH speaker set (2-fronts, 2-rears, Center) -$99
    Aiwa Powered subwoofer -100watts 8"sub -$89
    NICE speaker cable totaled about $120 of monster wire 12gauge rear, 14 gauge fronts, 14 gauge center and rca componet to the sub

Hope that helps!

8. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Hmmm, Gandalf will help here but he is High-End specialty.

I hadn't thought of EC in terms of weight so I added up my speakers - 505 lb!! So not much help from me either.... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have used some Bose bookshelf speakers on other peoples systems (not the little cubes, real speakers) and they seem to work good. I do not like the Bose surround sound kits.

Subwoofer is mandatory also!

9. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I'm running Polk speakers for the 5.1 and Bose 901 for the main, i have a switch box to run eather both or just one set up. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif