Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Home Wireless Networking ?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by kennyw, Dec 3, 2006.

1. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I have a wireless network with a desktop PC and a laptop. Works great for accessing the internet, but I also want to be able to transfer files between my two computers and not sure how to set the second part up yet... any tips?

My router is a Netgear WGT624 if that helps.

2. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

if you have xp on both machines, the easiest way is to use the wizard and in the folders you want to share, right clkick on them, and go to sharing, and it will walk you through it.

3. kennyw

I started to stumble across that last night... I could get the computers to show up, but couldn't access them across the network. I'll have to mess with it a little more tonight if I have time. Both machines are XP, one XP pro and one XP home edition.

4. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

Go to the folder you want to Share( be able to move file out of). Right Click on the folder. Click on Properties at the bottom. Then click the Sharing tab at the top. About half way down you will see a check box for 'Share this folder on the network'. Put a check in the box and click OK.

Now on another computer on this network, click on My Network Places. You should now see the Shared folder from the first computer.

5. kennyw

I got that far and was able to see the folder from the other computer... just wasn't able to access it yet. Got an error message saying I didn't have permissions :doah: Got a few things to work out when I get home still.

6. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

OK, two possible items off the top of my head. Does either system had a firewall? (Remember, WinXP SP1 or higher has one built in). Second, there is a second check box in Sharing. It is "Allow network users to change my files", check it. The other item it could be is SubFolders.

Try creating a new folder, adding one simple file (not folder), and setting the Sharing for the folder. Now can you access this?

7. kennyw

Both computers have firewalls, MaCafee on the laptop and Zone Alarm on the desktop. I was able to get access to the desktop on the laptop by simply shutting down the zone alarm firewall. No luck the otherway around trying to shut down the McAfee though :doah:

I really don't want to have to shut off the firewalls either. I've tried adding the IP addresses for my local network to the trusted IP list on both machines but no luck with that.

8. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

Try this. Get the IP addresses of both computers. To do this go to start, then run. Type in CMD and hit enter. This will bring up a black window. In that window type in ipconfig and hit enter. This will give you the IP of the computer.

Here is a screenshot of my machine:

[​IMG]

For discussion purposes, lets call your computers A and B. Lets say computer A's IP is 192.168.2.50 and computer B's IP is 192.168.2.51. You can use the run box to show all shared files on either computer. Lets say you have a music file on computer B that you want to bring to computer A. Make sure you are have the folder that the file is in shared. To share a file make sure you have gone through the Network Setup Wizard in Network connections found in the control panel. Make sure you select the option to turn on "File and Printer Sharing." I Can take screenshots of this wizard if you need me to.

After you complete the wizard on both computers, go to the folder that whatever document you want to share is in. For example, lets say you have a music file that you want to share over and the file is located in the folder, "my music." You would right click "my music" and left click properties. Left click the sharing tab. Then click the option to share this folder on the network. This file is now shared.

Here is a screenshot of the sharing option:

[​IMG]

To get the file , on computer A go to start and then Run. In the run box type in \\ thenthe IP address for computer B (\\192.168.2.51 for example) and hit enter. That will bring up all files that are shared on computer B in a window. Then you can open the file the document is in and drag it to whatever folder you would like.

Sorry this is so long. I hope this helps.

9. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I've had that problem between two of my comps. Had to go into the sharing options on each file and click "permissions". Then set it up so it is accessible by "everyone" with full control.

10. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I'd be a little cautious about sharing folders and files without any security - unless you want them available to anyone on the "network"

11. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

Make sure you have the same users setup on both computers also, or at least one you can log onto both with.
    I don't allow folder access to the "everyone" group, either.

There is also a nice little powertoy for XP called Synctoy that lets you syncronize data on 2 computers over a newtwork so both computers will have the same files. Good for backups of important data.