Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Homebrew / Custom Gas Tank

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Corey-88K5, Jan 1, 2002.

1. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    Hey folks,

I'm sitting here 1800 miles from my blazer and thinking of all the stuff I'm planning on doing when I get home in about 2 weeks: Welding up front Spider gears (don't worry, I've got an extra 10blt just lying around ;) Swap on my 35 TSL Boggers and may even try my hand at installing a Detroit my self on the rear S/F 14. Well I was also considering making my own fuel tank. I've done quite a bit of welding, so thats not a concern and I've thought about a few ideas, Small drain plug on the bottom, side mounted or easily accessable fuel pump and may even make it over sized. My main issue was having a fuel tank that would not only be tighter to the body with out using a body lift, and have the strenght to hold the truck with out any significant damage and leaking on the fuel tank. Oh, and I was considering relocating the spare tire under the vehicle,and make the fuel tank's location either in the place of the Pickup's and or inside of the frame rails. I've got a lot of ideas, and have unlimited options, I've also planned on taking the "home made" fuel tank into a radiator/fuel tank repair shop to have it lined to ensure that it doesn't leak (not that my outstanding welding ability ;)

Well options please, let me know what you guys thing, and I know that you guys have some ideas, so....

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez>http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez</a>

2. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>What were you going to make it with? I can get large sheets of 1/4" aluminum locally and I was thinking of doing this. Does anyone want to tell me how I can weld aluminum with a MIG welder?

3. Corey-88K5

If you want to weld alum, you have to have a "spool gun". Its the same process as regular mig welding, but the wire is much closer to the welding. Its at the end, right next to the welding. The reason the spool of welding wire is next to the end is because you can't "push" the wire wire through the entire liner of the welding cable of the mig welder with out it bunching up (birds nesting). The best route is to TIG weld it. Best quality welding you can get for alum. I'm planning on steel because alum. could rip and I don't think its as strong or as capable for the area it will be in. I'm planning on using steel and putting baffles inside to help support the weight of the vehicle incase it should have to! ;)

Corey
    88K5

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez>http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez</a>

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

To weld Aluminum with MIG you also need to run straight Argon (IIRC). Anyway, when you lay out your baffles, do it in such a way that it forms a sort of inner tank that will not drain away from the pickup if you are running low and get twisted up. The late model EFI tanks had baffles like this made out of plastic so that the in tank pumps would not be as likely to run dry (which can ruin them). If done right, each change in orientation will essentially "fill" the inner tank again.

5. BigDiesel

BigDiesel Registered Member Premium Member

Don't be afraid to use aluminum. It is stronger than steel per/pound, lighter and obviously doesn't rust. I'm looking at building a custom bumper line in the near future for all sorts of trucks and jeeps and will be building(hopefully)most of the line out of aluminum for these reasons. The baffles are built in to fuel tanks to prevent the fuel from sloshing around when in use.(ever had a half full jerry can slosh around in you hand when it's half full) Try that with 30 gallons. ;)

99 3500 dodge cummins, blah, blah, blah
    soon to have: 90-91 blazer or jimmy with 6.2
    I love the smell of diesel in the morning. (no,not really;))

6. Corey-88K5

Big Diesel,

Are you on TDR? If so, I'm well... This is original, "coreyperez". As far as alum, another reason I'm leaning towards steel is I can weld it. I don't have access to a tig welder, and Alum is quite pricy. Although, there is a place in Greenville NC that has sheets for a decent price, but not quite as inexpensive as steel. You are right about the rusting part, and the baffles I was aware of also, but I figured it would be a great way to transfer stress from just the bottom through the entire fuel tank vs. just trusting a skid plate. Sort of an incorporated skid plate! Yes, the 1/4 would be heavy, but with the blazer already weighing in over 3 tons, who cares??? Like I had said though, I'm considering relocating the spare under the rear of the truck, sort of like the pick up's, and relocating the fuel tank. There isn't really a Good reason for this, just want to do something original. I've slammed the truck down on the skid plate a few times so far, and would rather have it been my spare tire vs. 30+ gal of fuel.

Corey
    88K5
    94 Ram CTD!
    SMOKIN!

Oh, and I DO love the smell of diesel in the morning ;)

7. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

If you do make your own tank you might want to us Loctite's Porosity Sealant 290 (it is actually the same as the green loctite just in a big can w/ brush insted of a little tube) to seal the welds.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

8. BigDiesel

BigDiesel Registered Member Premium Member

Yep corey, I'm on the TDR as Davey, although I haven't posted for a while. Later.

99 3500 dodge cummins, blah, blah, blah
    soon to have: 90-91 blazer or jimmy with 6.2
    I love the smell of diesel in the morning. (no,not really;))