Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Homebrew Frame measurements?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by the beast, Oct 4, 2006.

1. the beast

the beast 1/2 ton status

Is there a way to check your frame in the driveway to see if it's bent or not? I think my frame is twisted, but I'm not entirely sure. I'f it is, I'm not going to bother rebuilding this truck, I'll find another. By the way it's a 77 K10 shortbed.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

About the only "quick" way I can think of that would even be potentially accurate enough to do yourself is to raise the vehicle all the way off the ground so no susension components were being used to support the vehicle weight. Vehicle and floor would have to be perfectly parallel.

Any measurements on the ground are pointless, springs, more weight one side to the other, and tires (along with a few other more uncommon things) can all have an affect on "height" when being used to check for frame straightness.

Not to mention, there are very few "flat" parts of the frame...GM used various holes punched/cut/drilled through the frame to check for frame straightness.

3. JeremyK5

JeremyK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

4. the beast

the beast 1/2 ton status

AWESOME Jeremy!! Exactly what I was looking for!! :waytogo: