Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Homebrew RamJet 350?!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazer_Boy, Apr 22, 2002.

1. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Would this even be feasible? Since I put my bed floor and tailgate in, I'm convinced that any part can be had. I got a list of every componet in that motor <a target="_blank" href=http://216.239.35.100/search?q=cache:67VL23EuGzUC:www.gmgoodwrench.com/crate_eng/pdf/SB_RJ350.pdf+12489371&amp;hl=en>Clicky</a>. I mean whats to say you can't buy the intake, throttle body, fuel rails, harness, and hit the junkyard for the distributor and injectors. I hope the injectors aren't a one of a kind item, because those get very pricey. I can see why GM wouldn't sell a convesion kit, why buy the whole damn motor when the top end is where all the magic is at. TPI and TBI are options, but this thing looks a hell of alot meaner than TBI and probably alot less headaches than TPI. All that wiring is a turn off.

2. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Yep, you probably could. BUT last time I checked the Ram manifold was on national back-order. 'Guess you weren't the first to think of this.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

"All that wiring" is there so that you can wring every last ounce of power out of that motor, and get good economy doing so.

Anything else is a waste of time IMO. (and IIRC the ramjet falls into that category..missing VSS, EGR, etc I think)
    I can get 18MPG on a carb, if I get less than 20MPG when I go injected, I'm gonna be pretty disappointed.

Since its a computer run *system*, you simply can not remove components and expect to have the same results as a fully functional system. Not to say that it WON'T run, you will just be missing out on the benefits of TPI.

Again, if you want to skimp on wiring, stay carbureted, because IMO, a well-tuned carb is just as likely to provide good performance and driveability as a poorly designed/setup TPI system.

4. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

I mean copy the motor tit for tat. The only thing different would be the cam setup, it has a roller unit. This thing has to have some things more refined than TPI. I mean it is almost 15 years newer. I'd go nuts trying to duplicate it, not to mention broke. The ECM is $416 and some of the wiring is $202, craziness I tell you. I'm sticking with my Q-Jet because I like something I can pull off and throw against If I get pissed, instead of hunting down the 8 million sensors to unplug (laugh). I still like fuel injection but what I have now doesn't cost a thing 'cause its done.

5. KBK5

KBK5 Registered Member

Now here's a guy after my own pocketbook and skull!! 15 to a gallon for twelve years running now. With all that converting for LOTS! of cash, coulda bought a LOT of petrol!! MPH gain to ME, personally, just didn't have the bang for the bucks.

6. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I got an entire TPI setup minus injectors and distributor for $200. GM OBD-I fuel injection is NOT complicated! Anyone with a voltmeter, and a manual with decent flow charts and wiring diagrams can fix it. And it's not hard to hook up. Now, if only I can find a 87-91 31 gallon tank with sender so I can loose this crappy carb.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You can find those tanks at national automotive lines (not sure web addy, I may have posted it awhile back) and the tanks are made by "american designs" who also have a web site. I spoke to them about the K5 87-91 tanks, and they pulled the plans for them while I was on the phone, and confirmed that the baffling was the same design as stock, and that thy weren't plastic, like the factory ones that are absolute garbage.

others have had the same experience, the stock tanks seem to be broken about 95% of the time. I picked up a tank/sending unit for $50, out of that, I'm getting a sending unit : (
    Not a bad deal though really. National auto *might* be selling sending units too, apparently someone has just started making them for the 80's vehicles...

And for the other posters, the problem with copying the ramjet tit for tat is that its not a "good" TPI setup like the car or later truck ones...its missing some sensors that are critical to achieve all the benefits TPI has to offer. Or at least they did when they first came out. IIRC, the ramjet was designed as a boat motor? Not quite sure how you run VSS (for instance) on a boat.

8. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

The Ramjet from the factory doesn't even have an O2 sensor, hence it is not closed loop. Arizona Speed and Marine has a closed loop kit, don't know the price but can bet it'll add a couple hundred dollars more to your plan. The motor, as it comes from GM, looks to be extremely simple to hook up, as all the wiring is self contained and is designed to be a two wire hookup (power and ground) plus fuel pump. There's a couple of CK5 members that have Ramjets, ask them how they like them, seem to be very happy. Not sure if the injectors are 'standard' or not. Haven't looked at them.

TPI is no harder than TBI to set up...........sure it has 6 or 7 more plug-ins for the injectors but that's it. And both are in all honesty pretty basic to install. Anything FI will require some wiring, so if wiring is your fear, avoid it and stay carb.

If you wheel in any off camber situation or hillclimb, you already know the reason to go FI. If not, stay carb. Our club run video is all you would need to see/hear if you need to be convinced FI is the better setup - constant stalling and the whine of starter motors dominate the hill sections.