Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HomeBrew Soft Tops

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MICHIGAN BLAZER, Mar 24, 2000.

1. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Thinking about making my own soft top for this summer. Just trying to get some ideas...mainly on where to put the snaps so they're not in the way...and what kind of supports to put in for the top. I don't have a roll bar yet..but hope to have one installed by mid summer. Not looking for a great seal...i think it's gonna be kinda bikini-eskt, but would like to have some sides on it that i can quick snap in place or snap out of the way. any thoughts will be appreciated as usual. thanx

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

2. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Check out my site. I designed my own top and had it sewn up by a local shop that makes boat tops and stuff. My roll bar is copied from a 4Runner, and protects the rear seat. It serves as the support for the top as well. For my top, I didnt want to drill any snaps into the body, so what I did is got hold of an old hard top, cut it from the forward edge of the windows up and over the top, then cut the rear pillar off on am angle. This frame bolts on the same as the full hard top and I think it looks great. Kinda like one of those fastback cab extenders for pickups. Then I drilled the snaps into it. The only snaps I put in the body metal are in the tailgate. I dropped the truck off at the shop and picked it up 2 days later with the top completed for around $400.00. I had drawn a picture of what I wanted and they planned it and made it. It has 2 zippers up from the tailgate so that I can roll the back window up and fasten it with clips. Also I can roll the sides up and fasten them so it gives me a bikini style if I want. They made a velcro sleeve that fastens around the rollbar to keep it from flapping. I really like it and think it looks great (if I do say so myself!). Ive never seen another like it, and its the only one that allows my kids to sit in the back seat.
    Good Luck with yours,
    Mike

http://sites.netscape.net/mikesthmpr/thumper

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>

3. cocky

cocky Registered Member

I just had to check out your site. Nice blazer. soft top looks great

Richard
    1970 k5 Blazer
    Don't stand in front of a train naked

4. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

I like your bumper and spare tire system, how did you mount the bumper to the truck? I don't see any exposed bolts? how did you attach the corner of the bumper to the body and keep it from tearing the body during off road twist? do you have a pin that holds the left side closed?
    '77 K5

<font color=red>mudfanatic</font color=red>[​IMG]

5. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

To attach the bumper to the frame, I had to cut off the frame rails about2" behind the tailgate, and welded some extensions to the frame. Then i welded brackets to the bumper on the inside and these bolt to the extension of the frame. I used 3 grade 8 bolts per side. The left side of the swing away is pinned with a small pit pin, and to keep it from twisting, I manufactured the small rods that turn up and are welded to an outside piece of metal, and 2 bolts go thru the body into a second piece of metal as a backing behind the body. I havent had a problem with twisting the body yet, although those bolts have to be kept tight!

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]

6. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Did you get a plan figured out MB?

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]

7. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

I've never been to your site before thump....i hate to say it but your top is very close to what i had in my head.....i want my sides somewhat different though. But i want the rear to slope straight back to the gate. And man that junk topper idea is absolutely ingenious!! I need to buy a new topper this summer since mine is trashed, sooo i think i'm going to steal your oh so easily reamoveable soft top frame idea...if you don't mind that is. Once i really get serious about it i might have to e-mail you a couple of questions. coool site by the way...and thanx for the info.

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

8. JoeAngelicchio

JoeAngelicchio 1/2 ton status

Thumpers design is a great idea. I would like a similar top so I can still take the kids in the back. Hey Thumper, did you figure out the dimensions or the top place???????

<font color=green>Joe Angelicchio</font color=green>
    [​IMG]

9. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

MICHIGAN BLAZER,
    It sounds like you want a "fast back" style of a soft top. Had one on an old jeep for a while. It makes the rear seats unuseable unless you unzip the ziper that opens up the rear half of the truck. I really liked the look of it and would love to have one for my K-5. Let us know what you come up with!

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

10. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Actually, as for the design and measurements, the shop did it all. Once I had the roll bar made and installed, I drew a sketch of what I wanted the top to look like and they took it from there. The roll bar design was as much for looks as for function. I like the look of the 4Runner bars, and the fact that they cover the rear seat is perfect. The top turned out way better than I expected. By all means, use my ideas, thats what the board is for! And if you need more info, e-mail me anytime.

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]

11. kim tate

kim tate 1/2 ton status

Heh Thumper, other than the roll bar and snaps, do you have anything else holding the top up?

12. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Holding it up? Its snapped all the way around the frame, and it rests on the roll bar where it slopes down. There is a velcro sleeve that wraps around the roll bar to keep everything tight when the top or sides are rolled up. Thats about it....

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]