Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Homebuilt nerf bars

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 79Cheyenne, Jun 11, 2000.

1. 79Cheyenne

79Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

I just got my hands on some 4" square tube and was looking at the prospect of building some nerf bars (mainly to use as slides for what normally would rub the panel). It will almost run the length of the fender openings, my question is where and how to mount these to be most effective. I want these for protection but would also like to use them as a step. I have seen some of the smittybilt tubes mount to the body mounts, is this a good idea or just convenient?

need some input I only have a welder for the week.

thanks
    p.s. the help on the door pins and bushings was terrific it took about 20 minutes!!!

<font color=orange>1979 BLAZER Cheyenne[​IMG]

2. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

I have a homebuilt one and it's strong.
    If you go to my CK5 page I think you can make them out in one of the pictures in the photo section to.

<font color=blue>Espen88k5 at: </font color=blue>http://espen.coloradok5.com

3. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Seems like a frame attachment would be a good idea to me. If you could weld a "stub" onto the frame you could pin or bolt the nerfs on. Then if one got too bent up or ya just wanted 'em off for awhile, just unbolt 'em.

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm