Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

homemade bodylift... anyone do this???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by reddog64, Sep 17, 2001.

1. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

Any one make there own say... 2 or 3 inch body lift???
    Out of what...

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

With the reasonable (cheap) cost of body lift kits out there I wouldn't bother with any home grown body lift. I've seen hockey pucks...they crack after a while. I've seen steel box tubing...it collapses in an accident. I have actually seen 2x4's stacked...[​IMG] and none of them looked like good ideas.

If I had to make my own I would use aluminum round stock (6061-T6) roughly 2 1/2" to 3" in diameter and have it cut at a shop. But that would cost more than most kits go for.

Stick with a kit, unless its a trail only vehicle.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

3. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

There is an older post floating around here somewhere where somebody did that, just can't remember when. If I remember correctly, he used some nylon stock from a hardware store. Sorry, but that's all I remember.

<font color=red>Impotence: Nature's way of saying "No hard feelings"</font color=red>

4. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Do a quick search... I know this topic was hit upon very recently. Not exactly sure about exactly what was said but I remember people saying it usually ended up coming out fine but costing more time and money then if they just went out and bought one! But then you don't get to say I built this with my two hands if you buy it... [​IMG]

I think K5PureInsanity would be a good one to ask about this subject...

9/11/01... "We will overcome"
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html</a>

5. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

I COMPLETELY agree with Rene. Body lifts are very cheap, and if you figure the price of the hardware, it may be more trouble and money to actually round up all the parts than buying a kit. I got my 3" from 4WPW for 70 bucks!

<font color=red>Impotence: Nature's way of saying "No hard feelings"</font color=red>

6. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

And when I said if you make it could come out fine I don't mean with hockey pucks either... I was talking quality fabrication... not left over garage sale parts! [​IMG]

9/11/01... "We will overcome"
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html</a>

7. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

I found them at www.4wpw.com for 3 bucks a piece... so yeah it's cheaper to buy them individually if you only need a few... and no bolts...

8. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I had a machine shop make me a B/L out of 2 1/2 in. solid round stock. Other than that or aluminum I wouldnt do it.

I get all the exercise I need pushing my luck! [​IMG]

9. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

How about this? Has anyone ever bought a 2" kit and cut all the pucks in half to make a 1" kit? I just wondered how hard it would be to cut all of them and whether or not you would then have to cut a bunch of bolts to keep them from being too long.

<font color=green>"It is generally not adviseable to eject directly over the area you just bombed"</font color=green>

10. MUDNUTT

MUDNUTT 1/2 ton status

the guy i bought my 79 from had installed a cheesey 3 inch b/l he had made. i just installed a 4 inch suspencion lift so the b/l is coming out for a 1 inch lift. [​IMG]

<font color=blue>DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT[​IMG]
    <font color=red>PROUD TO BE AMERICAN[​IMG]

11. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Mudnutt, (AKA, I will make a body lift from hockey pucks) now that hurt...... I had that body lift on there when we flattened that 86 honda civic and it held up just fine. So there...

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=)

12. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

i am not a fan of available body lift kits. i do have a 2" on my truck. a nicer way would be to fab up front cab mounts that bolt through the rivet holes that the factory ones use, i have even seen the results on this great site <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/coilover/fea0f0dc.jpg>HERE</a>. remolded used plastic blocks dont fill me with awe. if you want bullet proof any tubing with the ends welded up will be more than strong enough considering that the nuts/inserts are lightly tacked to the sheet metal of the cab.

13. bigk

bigk 1/2 ton status

Too bad you're 2000 miles from me, I've got a Performance Accessories 3 inch body lift still in the box that I'd probably part with for $50. Time I shipped it, though, you wouldn't save anything.

Karl
    Temporarily Unemployed Underwear Model
    87 3/4 ton

14. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Nothing wrong with having spacers made from aircraft aluminum. Looks nice and is plenty durable.

Won't save you any money, but like I said, looks good and strong to boot.

Then you can go the relocated mount route, as per 77Chev's link. This is a great way to go because it uses stock length bolts and is more rigid than a spacer-type kit.

Poundin' the ol "pavment"!

15. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

If I had to make my own I would use aluminum round stock (6061-T6) roughly 2 1/2" to 3" in diameter and have it cut at a shop. But that would cost more than most kits go for.

<hr></blockquote>
    I know a desert racing that did this to his stock mini, but he did all the work and final cost was something like $25 and it was only a 1 inch I believe.

Bubba Ray Boudreaux,
    "Tell them the U.S. is coming, and hell is riding with us!!"<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/mdntrdr1>http://community.webshots.com/user/mdntrdr1</a>

16. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

you could just buy the ord 1" kit and not mess with having to cut the pucks...

Later

Have you driven OVER a Ford lately?

17. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

When I was out truck shopping, I came across this 80 something Furd stepside 4x4 with a huge body lift on it. I had to at least check it out. Walked up and the "6 inch body lift" was made out of f'n stacked 2x4's!!!!!! I LMAO when I saw that and quickly ran away from that truck!

Just get the real body lift. They aren't that expensive.

If you see my truck on a trailer, call 911 cause it's <font color=red>STOLEN!!!</font color=red>
    Website link is in my profile [​IMG]

18. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Rene, I have seen pretty much the same stuff you have seen.

But, one home made kit really stood out among everything I hvae seen that was 'cobbled'.

A jackass here in town did a home made lift on his Ford. What did he use, you ask? Bricks!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

<font color=red>I'm a "black top mudder"!!!</font color=red>

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy</a>

19. COOTER

COOTER Registered Member

WHEN I BOUGHT MINE IT DIDNT CONE WITH BUMPER BRACKETS OR REPLACEMENT FLAPS.I BOUGHT THE BRACKETS BUT YOU COULD MAKE BETTER ONES FOR A LOT CHEAPER.INSTEAD OF BUYING FLAPS,I TOOK SOME SHEETMETAL FROM AN OLD WASHER AND USED SHEETMETAL SCREWS.MAKE SHURE YOU FILL THOSE SPACES WITH SOMTHING OTHERWISE YOU WILL FILL YOUR ENGINE COMPARTMENT WITH MUD AND WATER AND IT WILL TAKE LONGER FOR YOUR ENGINE TO WARM UP.

20. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

I've done a 4" body lift with 1/4 wall box tubing. I've put 3 of these lifts together. I will never buy another body lift again. One of these trucks was rolled and the guy is useing the blocks we made on the new body. I think they hold up just fine.
    My two cents.
    mike

You call that dirty!?