Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Homemade hydro assist-where do the durn lines go?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pcorssmit, Mar 19, 2002.

1. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I'm in the middle of plumbing my home made hydro assist (tapped the caps on the Saginaw box). Every post I've seen says "hook it up and try it". Come on, this really can't be that hard. One line goes to the driver's side, one to the passenger side. One line comes out the top cap, one comes out the end. The reason I'd like to know is that I'm using crimp style hoses, and the routing will come out a cleaner if I don't have to guess on the lengths. The only thing that could make a difference (as far as boxes) that I could think of is maybe whether it sits outside the frame (full size) or inside (Jeep, etc). But my head starts to hurt when I think about it too much. So, if anyone has this, which goes where?

Thanks,

Pete

2. the one on the drivers side goes to the steering box the one on the pas. side goes to the pump. here are some pics
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.imagestation.com/album/index.html?id=4291972061>http://www.imagestation.com/album/index.html?id=4291972061</a> what mc are you useing? 1/2, 3/4 or one ton?

3. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the response, but I'm actually talking about hydraulic ram assist steering (similar to the West Texas "Redneck Ram" or AGR's "Rock Ram" setup). My truck came stock with hydroboost brakes. As for the master, I'm currently running a 1 ton master w/D60 front brakes and rear disk w/Eldo calipers.

Pete

4. ooops, sorry. i didn't read very close. but, hey, thanks for answering my question/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Pete, ya got a 50/50 chance, I hooked mine up the way Matt suggested ( he also said may not always be the case) and it was the other way, the lines coming out of the box are fairly close together so I just switched those.

6. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I think I gotter all fingered out. Hopefully will get it fired up tonight, will know then. I'm getting the hoses crimped this afternoon. Mine don't come out of the box next to eachother like yours, thats the reason I'm concerned. I'm running a 90° end on one end of one hose, the rest are straight, and the lenghts are a little different (maybe--I didn't measure, I just bought 15' of hose yesterday, held it up there where I wanted it, and marked it where I needed to cut it and put the ends on).

Pete

7. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Well, was getting set to start it up last night, went to put the exhaust back on (had it off to R&amp;R the tranny) and crap, no collector gaskets. Should know tonight it I'm right, I got all the plumbing done last night at least.

Pete