Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Homemade inner fenders??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sapper, Nov 30, 2005.

1. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Anyone make their own inners? I want to keep something in there but the factory type just isnt working with how I'm cutting the outers. TIA

2. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I haven't tried it, but I know people have and I might do it in the future. One suggestion was to use a set of thick semi-truck mudflaps and cut and form the rubber with a heat gun.

I think I'd rather do it with steel, but I suck with sheetmetal so it'd be an easier alternative.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I was going to use the mudflap trick... but I have an old hard-plastic bedliner out of a 75 longbed that has a couple of holes in it. I couldn't even get $20 for the thing on craigslist... so I'm prolly gonna cut it up and make some inners out of it. Oughta work, and it'll be lighter than the heavy flaps.

j

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

cheap fenderliners..

The bedliner would probably work..(too bad your not closer-I'd pay 20 buck for it for my C10! :doah: :( )..

I'e seen guys use those roll up kids toboggans as fender liners on new trucks to keep salt from building up and rotting out the fenders and cab..they are just a sheet of polyurethane plastic,flexible but stiff enough to hold its shape..I think the ones J.C. Whitney sells look like the same material,only vacuum formed to fit like a glove on a particular truck.. :crazy:

5. jaysonsk5

jaysonsk5 1/2 ton status

i used the old bed mat out of a nissan p/u that i scraped years ago. work better than not having anything, stopped more than i thoght it would :D

[​IMG]
    and it still says nissan :haha:

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

lol, bummer. The liner has a couple of holes and cracks (like golf ball size) in it from previous owner abuse... so it aint worth much at all as a bed liner. It'd be easier to cut/notch than flaps if I need to make room for shock towers or whatever in it... and its plenty long enough that I could make them cover pretty much everything from firewall to the electric fans.

j