Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

homemade parking brake cables

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by R72K5, May 15, 2005.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

anyone have tips/info on items that cab be bought at napa or farm supply store to make home made parking brake cable setup on a 63-72 truck ? from end of the front cable and back to axle cables?

i figure some small u bolts and some cable length should work

maybe not ?

pics ?

what can i use for the guides, factory used bent wire rod hanger guides, should i just find a bunch of them and use them or can i make some or use something else ? i cant think of anything else,.

thanks

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I'm confused, why not use stock cables? They have the right ends on them so it's easy, even if you have to modify the length. For instance, on my truggy, I shortened wheel base and so I had to shorten the cables. I used 4 of the little "U" cable clamps made for that size cable and it's worked fine. Also used the stock "guides" but modified for more clearance and new locations.

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

that stuff can be surprisingly available thru aftermarket manufacturers.. try your local auto store.. i just got a full set for a 72 442 that where Raybestos i believe from my local guys....

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

custom made..

I know of a parts store not too far away who makes custom cables for antique and older cars that no cables are listed for any longer...they do need a old cable to go by though...not terribly expensive,but not cheap either...

I've used my old housings over and made new cables from 1/8 inch aircraft cable and u bolt clamps from a hardware store(same a winch cable or garage door cables..)..not easy to thread the cable thru,I brazed the cable to make it easier to go thru the housing...it worked fine when I got it all done... :crazy:

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

the truck is 181 wheelbase, its far from factory, factory was 157 wheelbase, there is no stock one that will work, it has to be custom/homemade or nothing

there is nothing under the truck left cept the front cable and the axle end ones
    everything else is gone
    no hangers, no anything

get it ?
    so any ideas on what to use and how would be great, and pics would be even better

actually i just need one cable, the intermediate one, the real super long one

it loops from one axle cable to the other and comes all way up to end of the front cable

i just figured a long piece of cable and some cable clamps and some kind of hanger guides,

but im stuck on the hanger guides,. i dunno what to use ? i have none and if i were to get some i woul dneed 67-72 ones and like 6 of them if not more, and several different lengths,

i need ideas

thanks

6. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

For the hanger guide I've heard of people using a good quality pulley, also cuts down on friction. For the clamps I wouldn't use the ubolt clamp style, if they loosen at all the parking brake will fail. I'd use the compression fittings (forgot the technical term).

7. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Randy, I would use the factory parts as much as possible and just add a 24" extension (possibly a piece of all-thread) between the front cable and the intermiedate one where it is still a single line. As long as it didn't interfere with the exhaust or something like that it should not be too bad.