Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

homemade parts cleaner?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by d coenen, Oct 7, 2005.

1. d coenen

d coenen Registered Member

has anyone made one ? and what is actually used to clean the parts?

2. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

look at posts from rdn2blazer. he built one big enough to fit a full axle. there are a few pics in this thread clicky scroll down a bit. Do a search for the buildup thread.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I made one...

I made one from an old stainless steel kitchen sink and faucet,and a 15 gallon laquer thinner barrel,and I used a boat bilge pump (12V) that was submersible and it ran off a 12V power pack like you use for a CB in your house (or a battery charger or battery would work too)...
    It worked well for many years,to my suprise the bilge pump didn't croak from using parts cleaning solution pirated from another tank at work that used "Safety Kleen" brand stuff--I also used mineral spirits and diesel fuel with good results..A "Sock" filter from an old gas tank kept sludge out of the intake hose to the bilge pump--could have used fine mesh screen instead--(it used 3/4" heater hose,had barb fittings on it)..

But now you can buy one so cheap from places like Harbour Freight nd Northern Tool ,so I feel its a waste of time making one,unless its a big one like the one in the other post(a nice job BTW!,and bigger IS better)--I always wished mine was bigger when I tried washing a rear end chuck or heads off in mine...the kitchen sink wasn't quite wide enough..another 15 gallon drum cut in half would have been a perfect size.. :doah: :crazy:

4. ike

ike Registered Member

PArts Cleaner

Dish Washer works great......You can pick up a used one in the recycler for cheap...or better yet if you live at home us you parents.....lol

5. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

kool an excuse to show it off again. :D

DSCN0241.JPG

DSCN0244.JPG

DSCN0247.JPG

DSCN0015.JPG

DSCN0017.JPG