Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Homemade powertank

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by uberbeans, Aug 1, 2006.

1. uberbeans

uberbeans 1/2 ton status

I am interested in converting a scuba tank for the purpose of storing co2 for airing tires up and down. I don't know much about the different fittings and all the other details. I am sure it isn't as simple as just adding co2. There is the problem of adapting fitting for servicing just for starters. Has anyone done this?

2. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Search, it's been covered here.

What I recall is that you're better off starting with the right tank as NONE of the fittings are the same. I also suspect that getting such a tank filled may be a challenge.

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

99% of filling places wont work on a tank if its not being filled with the spec gas that it is made for. get the correct one its safer and cheeper in the long run .

4. bluehen

bluehen 1/2 ton status

Do some searching and you'll find a good bit of info.

I made my own kit, and use it all the time. Works great!

I got a 20lb tank from a beer distributor, the static regulator from Powertank, and all the hose and fittings from the hardware store. I get my local fire extinguisher servicing company to refill the tanks and they even sold me a fire ext. mounting bracket that I mounted to the inner wheel well. I mounted it with wingnuts in case I need the space.