Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Homemade shackle flip or ORD kit

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TrcksR4ME, Feb 16, 2002.

1. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I want to do a shackle flip, but the $180 ORD kit is too much to spend right now. I saw people are making their own shackle flips using the stock hanger with a hole cut in it. Is this homemade flip strong/safe, and how much lift is it equivelent to? Does anyone know? Need about 4'' of lift out of it, not sure how I would caculate that...think it is shackle length divided by 2?

The beauty is that these parts are thrown out when you do a ORD kit, so if it gets flubed up Im not out anything except some time. Sounds like a cheap trick though, if it works.

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Cut a hole, drop it through and you have 4" of lift. I did that on mine but will be getting the ORD kit since I am going to be getting longer rear springs.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

3. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

go the the jukyard and have them torch you off a set of front spring hangers from the rear springs. do a little math and figure out how much lift you want and run some bolts through the frame. i did this on my chevy longbox and i got almost 5 inches (thats about all you can get with that hanger). i took my box off to do mine, it was a breeze. ground the rivots off and drilled new holes forward of the exsisting so my rear shackle was at a decent angle when the wheight of the truck was on it.

4. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

All you need to do is to cut a hole in the bottom of the shackle bracket. Then, just drop the shackle through. I ran this setup on my K5 with 36's and never had any problems. just make sure you cut the hole big enough cause I had to take mine apart and make it bigger cause it hit under compression.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/outlaw613/K5.html>http://www.geocities.com/outlaw613/K5.html</a>

5. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I did mine like Wayne. I used a grinder to cut four grooves thru the hanger and finished them up with a sawzall. I did alot of hacking cos I didnt bother too measure so you'll want to take some time there. I've had no issues concerning strength or reliability, but i don't tow a boat or anything large behind either. The other option is to hang truck hangers like Legacy said. A little more work but eventually that's what I'll end up doing. Good Luck.

That jeep thing? Yah I understand it....... Like my Blazer? <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5>http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5</a>
    Jim

6. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I made mine like the others I cut a hole in the stock hanger. But I also used a piece of 1/4" 4x4 angle iron and boxed it in over the top and the side and arc welded it and it is strong. I also driled a hole through the plate so the shackel bolt would go though. It is also gusted at the top with more 1/4" plate. Total time about 2 hour's but I also took out the gas tank for saftey reason's which was another hour since I did'nt want to remove the mount from the frame.

Corey 78K5
    350CI, TH350, 203, Dana 44,12 Bolt, 4"lift, Shackel Flip, Sawsall and 35" BFG's

7. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

This will give me something to work with, now I just have to do it. Swapping in a 14ff, and want to redo the rear suspension a bit as I do that, so of coarse I want to save some money so I can use it to buy a detroit...180 is about half way there...yay! lol

8. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

Front hangers on the rear dont work that good.There is nothing to stop them from over extending and locking forward.Ive seen it happen a few times and its not fun

9. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

they work just fine with stock springs. you are correct, i have seen the shackes invert with lifted springs.

10. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Cut a hole in the stock one. I was gonna reinforce mine, but haven't gotten around to it in the 5 years since I did it.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

11. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

I just went with the ORD kit on my k5. Installation was easy and it takes the headache out of building your own. But if you dont have the cash go ahead and build them

12. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

I just cut a hole in the bottom of mine, but I also reinforced it by welding on a piece of angle iron. I need to cut the hole bigger, though, because the shackle hits the hanger with too much compression or extension of the springs. Oh yeah, this gives 4" of lift.

Will

'72 C10, originally 2WD, 6"Springs f+r, Dana 60 f+r, Lock-Right front, welded rear, 4.56s, 350, SM465, NP205, 39.5" TSLs, ORD crossover steering

13. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

works good. I reinforced mine. But the shackle is at the wrong angle. I'll make something similar to ord in the future so I can save up for my DOUBLER.

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

14. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

The ORD design is a good one, and if I had the extra money I would just get that...but right now I have other things to spend the money on like swapping in new axles, so home made it is, for now. Thanks for the input everyone...