Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Homemade shackle flip

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mike.S, Jul 5, 2002.

1. Mike.S

Mike.S Registered Member

I was reading a artical the other day here about the "home made shackle flip" and in the artical, Corey said that another possibility was to use the front rear-spring hanger off a 2wd. truck. Is there a differance between the front rear-shackle on a 2wd. and a 4wd.? I got to looking at mine and it looks like it would be the ticket to achieve what the objective is. Has anyone done this swap and could you give any detail on the steps taken ? Thanks /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif <font color="yellow"> </font color>

2. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

3. Mike.S

Mike.S Registered Member

I like it and it looks simple enough but I don't want 7" of lift. Or maybe I just like to do stuff the hard way. Thanks for your time BozoWise ! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

4. Mike.S

Mike.S Registered Member

Come on guys, I need some wisdom here. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

5. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Not really sure why, but the front hanger from a 4x4 is bigger/smaller, I dunno. But it won't work. It has to be a 2wd truck that it comes from. I cut the bottom out of my hanger and flipped my shackle. Some people don't agree with this method, but works great for me. I don't think I'd tow a heavy trailer with it tho.

6. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I have a 2wd 73 chevy in my yard... I will go out and take some measurements /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

If I remember correctly, the 2wd and 4wd have the same hanger but the bolt pattern was different. With the 2wd hanger you could bolt in to where the original rear hanger holes are on the truck to be shackle flipped.

8. Mike.S

Mike.S Registered Member

It would be great to get 4"s of lift in the rear with just another hanger, cheaper too. Is this a new idea or has it been lying in dorment from the mass's for years ? Any way, let's see what measurements Kenny comes up with. Thanks for the input guys.

9. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    Here's what I did.My brother's K/5, we simply cut the stock shackle mount with a saw-zall to make the hole to hang the shackle down.It works very well and is cheap and easy.On my '78 K/5 I removed the front spring hanger off of an 3/4 ton 'burb.I moved it rearward about 2" because I installed the 'burb's 56" (4" longer than stock) springs.I also removed two of the seven leafs in the pack and flipped the overload leaf.This truck does flex and has a soft ride.My '85 K/5, we bought with an 1 ton front spring mount already welded to the frame.This mount is huge!!! It gave about an 6" lift in the rear.The '78 has about 3" of lift and my brother's has about 4".My brother has to get longer rear shocks, while I went with 13" travel rears and it works well.they were all easy to do and well worth getting rid of the rear blocks!!

10. kennyw

The 2wd and 4wd rear leaf spring brackets have the same bolt pattern (front compared to front/rear compared to rear) The only difference is about 2.5" drop on the 4wd brackets (8" from top of frame to center of pivot bolt on front 2wd bracket compared to 10.5" top of frame to center of pivot bolt on 4wd bracket).

The front and rear brackets are not interchangeable without drilling new holes and possibly adding a custom made brace under the frame to make up for no support where it is needed.

If you drill new holes and make a brace using the 2wd front bracket for a shackle reversal I estimated a 3" lift over stock (that combination would lower the spring mounting point approx 6").

I also think I could get about a 1" lift if I were to re-arch or replace my original springs due to sag...

11. use front hanger of rear spring off a 1/2 or 3/4 ton 4x4 pickup. gives you 4 " lift, looks factory and is plenty strong
    [​IMG]

12. kennyw

Looks like you drilled new holes and made a brace but looks great when finished. I now have another part to salvage off of that bare frame in my yard before I move! I am going to need a big storage shed.

13. only the top holes are drilled. you have to cut the brackets down to fit cause they are too tall and will hit the floor pan. the bracket on the back side is also the factory unit so i didn't have to fab anything. it's a good way to do it if you don't mind a lot of grinder action and drilling. i don't have a torch so it took me a while. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

14. kennyw

Ok, you did it by aligning the bottom of the frame location... where I was thinking aligning from the top of the frame and building a custom brace. That makes more sense because you get to reuse the factory brace.

Cool /forums/images/icons/grin.gif I will have to see how much will relate to my 65 though because I dont plan on lifting my 79 anytime soon.

15. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

was the shackle off yopur 76 or the one that you sold? i was thinking about doing that on my 69. anyreason why it wouldnt work on a first gen?

thanks
    Nathan
    69K5

16. Mike.S

Mike.S Registered Member

I think that after all the input and facts, I'll do what Blue Beast did in the pic. It's easy, inexpensive and looks factory to the untrained eye. Thanks for all the time and effort guys !! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

17. as far as it working on a 1st gen i am not sure. what you need to do is bust out the ol' tape measure and see. you would have to compare how far the shackle to bracket eye is from the bottom of the frame to the eye between the two different brackets. this will tell you if you would be starting from the same spot. if so then it would work. some hangers are shorter and could be used for like a 2 1/2" flip. only the tape will tell. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif good luck!

18. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

i checked it on mine. the front spring mounts on a first gen are a no go. but i looked at my friends 83 2 wheel drive truck and they look good. i will check some more and see if they are better off a 4 wheel drive.

nathan

19. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

2wd ones are different (shorter)- at least they where on the 75 i parted out. might work for like a 2-3 inch shackle flip. look for a 4x4 1/2 to 3/4 ton.