Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

homemade shackle flip

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by silver 90, Dec 18, 2000.

1. silver 90

silver 90 Registered Member

I have a question for you, Stephen. Have you read the article about the homemade shackle flip in the technical section of this website? If you haven't, some guy just cut a hole in the bottom of his spring hanger and flipped his stock shackle upside-down. Now obviously this is going to weaken the hanger a little but do you think it would be dangerous to do this? Also, how come you guys don't make a 2" shackle flip for 88-up Chevy's? I apologize if you have answered these questions in the past as I am relatively new to this forum. Thanks.

2. I've done the same thing on my 3/4 ton truck. It raises the rear the same amount as the length of the shackle. I cut as much as I could out of the bottom of the shackle for clearance, and have had NO problems. Took me a couple hours to do, and cost me nothing. I wouldnt recommend this mod for jumping and high speed offroading, but for mud and rockcrawling it's great.
    You can see my truck at http://home.earthlink.net/~philnsyrep
    Good luck.

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I did something similar to my Blazer since I couldn't afford the ORD setup. Eventually when I have money, I'll probably buy the offroad designs equipment for the following reasons: It's more stable, more thought out, and actually moves the shackle angle to where it should be. I really don't think ORD would answer a post like this...it's a little rude to ask a company that sells a product with as much time and effort into it like they do to give away the company secrets. Or endorse a homeade job. Ethically and Legally, that could be detrimental to their business. So here's how I see it: the homeade shackle flip is a good solution as a get by tactic, just not optimum by any means. For low speed crawling it might do great but at high speeds in the whoops it might fold up. Personally I believe my next rear suspension will be a 4 link system, but I'm going to get the beast at least running first!!!

Bryan

[​IMG]
    Durant, Ok

4. Josh

Josh Registered Member

Did ORD ever make a front end kit or is it just rear??

5. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Just rear.

89 K5 Silverado
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com>http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com</A>

6. silver 90

Yeah, I kinda figured I wouldn't get an answer from ORD, but I was just curious. I appreciate all the input, guys. I may try it just to see how it looks. When you guys flipped the shackles around, did you happen to notice if it moved the axle forward at all?

BTW, I didn't mean to be rude to ORD.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by silver 90 on 12/27/00 09:48 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

7. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I actually didn't mean to not answer this one, but it's very similar to one I answered, maybe on the main page?....
    You might try searching for it. Basic jist is I really don't endorse cutting the bottom out. The can fold up, and I know it works for some, but I there's just too many variable in how you cut it to say much about it.
    Thanks

[​IMG]
    SW-ORD

8. silver 90

Thanks Stephen, I figured you had already answered this type of question but I was curious about the strength of the bracket after it has been cut. I don't want mine folding up on me!

9. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

silver, I'll send you a pic of my flip.

[​IMG]
    Durant, Ok

10. silver 90