Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Homemade soft top

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ArrowheadK5, Aug 2, 2002.

1. ArrowheadK5

ArrowheadK5 1/2 ton status

I don't think I'll ever be able to get the glass out of my tailgate again. So I was wondering if anyone has any plans for a homemade soft top (81-87)? Or knows where to find some? I can come up with my own, but just thought if there are already some out there...
    It'd be nice not to have to pay $400+ for one.
    Thanks all.
    PS.-- I just got a job, so I may pay the member dues here pretty soon... I hope, depending on tuition!

2. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

i can help you!!

what are you wanting to make? a full top? a wedge top? or truck style bed cover?

3. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Hey if you got plans for a full top I would appreciate seeing them, not to steal this post /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Thanks
    Ross

4. WakeBoard&4X4er

no, it is a wedge, but i would like to sell my wedge top and make a full top. I think it would not be that hard after looking at some other full tops.

5. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

hey, howabout swapping in a pick up tailgate and having some sort of custom back window a made //? thats what i did. prolly alot cheaper than a soft top. just my 2 cents.

6. ArrowheadK5

Well, I am just thinking about something to keep the snow out in the winter...and some heat in. This truck is only a toy now, and probably won't ever be restored, so I'm not looking to invest much, and right now I am really just brainstorming for options other than the junkyard.

Am I correct in thinking a wedge top means it goes straight, more or less, to the tailgate from the top of the cab, so the rear seat would be unusable? That would probably work out. I Was thinking of bolting an old pickup gate I have on in place of the one that's on there.
    I have a guy in seattle who could make the soft part of it for me, if I sent him the plans. What did yu use for the frame, or is there one?

Onother idea might be to have a rear window like on a pickup topper that swings down from the fiberglass top? Anyone have ideas? (Sorry for the long post)
    Thanks

7. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    A couple ideas since you interested.One is to get an old top(or use you own) and knock out the windows,cut the roof out on the interior lines.Then install clear vinyl on the windows and top.Or do what I did,keep the windows and cut the top roof and ordered a 5'x6' canvas and install.The other one I'm doing is building a full roll cage and installing an 9'x12' canvas on it.That truck has no taolgate so the canvas is also the tailgate.I hope to get this done in the next couple weeks,so I'll post some pics.The 5'x6' canvas(waterproof&tan) is $9,the 9'x12 is $35 though www.harbortools.com.Lots og ideas if you really think about it.Mike

8. ArrowheadK5

I bet it could be reinforced with 1" pipe ore something? I lke that Idea /forums/images/icons/cool.gif ... Then a fold-down window could be bolted to the top cross-bar in the back. How did you attatch the vinyl to the top?
    Thanks! This is helping!!

9. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    I'm still planning this project.My roll cage is actually going to mount on top of the bed rails and have supports going to the frame in several locations.The canvas is going to install directly to the cage with grommets&bolts/wingnuts.It will have about 30 spots to bolt it to the cage.I just got to get the cage welded up and then that project!Mike

10. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

well, I dont have any good pics of mine up but heres what I did. I took an old hardtop, cut it from the front edge of each window up over the top, then straight back from the lower edge of the windows to the rear. Then I drilled and installed my snaps in this top not the body. I needed 6 snaps across the tailgate. I got a buddy to bend me up a rollbar that goes over the rear seat, and took the truck to a boat shop. They sewed me up a top with a window on each side, and one in the back. The back zips up each side, and can be rolled up. It cost me 400.00 to get it made by the shop. Check out my gallery... not sure if there is a pic of it or not. I will try to get one up tonite.

Mike

11. WakeBoard&4X4er

did you look at mine from my WWW page?

12. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Bluesman, Im doing the same thing, basically. Using 1/8 angle iron and some flat as well, Im basically making a mild roll-cage or Tube frame that will bolt in place of the hard top. Then using some marine grade canvas or comperable material, Im gonna mark and cut everything and then take it to an upolstery shop and have them sew it all up and stuff. So it should be of some comparable quality. Basically it will be a home made Can-back. I do also plan on doing pics and write up as well. Let me know how yours turns out if you get yours done before me.