Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Homemade spanner socket? Upper ball joint adjuster wont back out

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Aug 22, 2004.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Tried PB Blaster and a punch but couldn't back it out. Does it go in clockwise and backout counter clockwise? (normal right hand thread) or is it backward?

Anyhow I thought a while back I read something about using a socket and cutting it down.

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

It is a righthand thread. Counter clockwise to remove. You can buy the spanner socket for $15.00 from your local Snap-on dealer. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Did you already take the knuckle off? If not then knock out the knuckle. This will make it alot easier to remove the adjuster nut. I couldn't get mine out (with the special socket) with 1/2" ratchet because I didn't know the knuckle would come out with it in (fit time) I used an impact and the special socket to get it out with the knuckle on. With the knuckle out it was easy.

I was unaware that the knuckle could be removed with the adjuster still in.

Harley

4. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I just went through this with my buddies 10 bolt. I have the Snap on socket. I had the knukle off and STILL couldn't get the sleeve to turn out!! Finally got the torches out, /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gifand it came out in pieces!! Stubborn S.O.B.!

5. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    I was unaware that the knuckle could be removed with the adjuster still in.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah me too /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Looks like it threads on the ball joint and the top ear. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

It threads into the knuckle itself not the balljoint. It is threaded backward of what you normally think of. The nut is threaded on the outside and smooth on the inside. Remove the nuts on the ball joints then take a ball joint sperater and a BFH and seperate them. Then try and remove the adjustor.

Harley

7. jjlaughner

Will do /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

When I did mine I first removed the knuckle, then back the sleeve almost all of the way out, then turned it back in all of the way and through the bottom of the ear to clean the threads out good.

9. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Homemade spanner socket?
    Anyhow I thought a while back I read something about using a socket and cutting it down.

[/ QUOTE ] Use a 13/16 deep socket. Just mark the cuts with a felt pen and have at it with a grinder. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Homemade spanner socket?

[/ QUOTE ] Use a 13/16 deep socket. Just mark the cuts with a felt pen and have at it with a grinder. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I done that with a 3/4 deep socket today and it didn't help, still can't get the knuckle off.

11. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i took my knuckles off with no spanner removal and no pickle fork. it was a bitch but they cam out. i was changing ball joints so i didn't care if i buggered the threads up or not.

12. jjlaughner

[​IMG]

Yeah I'm about to the point where its going to get beat out! /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    might use the torch and warm it up a bit /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif

13. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Dude, you really should pull the knuckle first. That nut has a split in it and when the ball joint is in there, its forcing the nut to expand into the threads, whick would hold it pretty tight I suppose. Mr pickle fork will be your friend here. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif