Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Homemade TIG Welder

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Hmmm

Discuss...................

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

someone needs to learn to resize images

3. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Thats seems like an awesome idea. Only I don't know the advantage of a TIG welder. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

4. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

sounds cool but i have the same prob. tig????

5. 72beater

72beater 1/2 ton status

that is cool. I will recreate it in my 'lab'. TIG welding for 20 bucks or less!

6. 72beater

72beater 1/2 ton status

seriously, this will give you a straight-up dc scratch start setup, it seems to me. An Improvement might be something along the lines of a filter/pwm converter to give some control over the output waveform behavior instead of that good ol half wave ripple alternators provide.

7. 72beater

72beater 1/2 ton status

ok, now ideas are flowing. You might as well go on-board tig by bolting up the alternator next to the installed one in the truck. then you are trail-TIG-ing.

8. 72beater

72beater 1/2 ton status

tig is tungsten inert gas, aka 'heli-arc', welding. basically you drive a tungsten probe electrode to form the puddle (which is covered by an inert gas cloud), and you fill with whatever rod is appropriate for the base metal you are welding. it is very versatile, highly controllable for fine work, and is used widely in aircraft and marine fab work on non-ferrous metals like stainless alloys, some aluminums, etc etc

9. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Hmmm

[/ QUOTE ]

Discuss?

OK, I find it disturbing that you are posting up links to a Ford Message forum.... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

10. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    tig is tungsten inert gas, aka 'heli-arc', welding. basically you drive a tungsten probe electrode to form the puddle (which is covered by an inert gas cloud), and you fill with whatever rod is appropriate for the base metal you are welding. it is very versatile, highly controllable for fine work, and is used widely in aircraft and marine fab work on non-ferrous metals like stainless alloys, some aluminums, etc etc

[/ QUOTE ]

ok i got you now.

11. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Hmmm

[/ QUOTE ]

Discuss?

OK, I find it disturbing that you are posting up links to a Ford Message forum.... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

And I hijacked it from PBB. Besides, there ain't nothing wrong with Ford stuff /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif In fact, I would like to get one certain person's input who has OBW powered by Ford.......... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

Pretty nifty idea this guy has with the homemade TIG, would be awesome to do, but is above me and TIG is not practical for me. Be kind of cool to see someone take it further though.

12. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Alright, now that I've gotten the obligatory ribbing out of the way, I will concede that the idea is quite ingenious looking....

This would be an especially "sexy" option for a guy like me who might want to "try" TIG, without spending a fortune on ANOTHER welding setup.

Kinda makes you wonder how the companies get away with charging so many $$$ for a TIG setup, doesn't it???? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

13. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

[ QUOTE ]
    seriously, this will give you a straight-up dc scratch start setup, it seems to me. An Improvement might be something along the lines of a filter/pwm converter to give some control over the output waveform behavior instead of that good ol half wave ripple alternators provide.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's only DC if you go through the rectifier. Bypass the rectifier and you have full wave AC at a fairly high frequency (unless I'm missing something here).

14. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I like the idea they have of making a gas powered tig welder, which I am sure could also be made into an arc welder or whatever onboard welders are. Mobile, no plug in needed, seems pretty sweet /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Or if you are very crafter, a two in one type of unit with two alternators or something like that /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

15. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

So...someone explain the waveforms thing to me. I have a AC/DC 300amp ARC welder, can I just get a torch for it and go crazy? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

16. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

you dont need gas for this?

first, explain tig welding, then explain this and how its better, lol

17. 72beater

72beater 1/2 ton status

right, and it looked like he hooked it up dc, but of course you could get rid of the rectifier and get whatever frequency comes from the classic NP=f*120 equation, where N is speed, P # of poles in machine, and f is freq. Thus, you can vary the f by changing engine speed, and still keep current constant by changing the alternator field current. this is getting interesting.

18. 72beater

72beater 1/2 ton status

you could just use one big alternator and connect the tig torch to one terminal, the arc stinger to another, and jump them into the circuit as you see fit.

19. 72beater

72beater 1/2 ton status

you do need gas, most definitely. It is not necessarily better, right, just versatile and kewl.

20. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    So...someone explain the waveforms thing to me. I have a AC/DC 300amp ARC welder, can I just get a torch for it and go crazy? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes and No. TIGs, unlike MIGs, use the same power supply as stick arc. So you can buy the torch (Aircooled is simpler than a watercooled torch), hook it up, and start welding. To do it this simply you'll need a valve to just turn the shield gas on and off with. You'll also be doing what is called 'strike-arc", meaning that you start an arc the same way you do with a stick welder. It takes some skill to do this w/o fouling the tungsten electrode.

With TIG you typically use DC Straight Polarity for steel & steel alloys. Aluminum welds better with AC. Older machines are Sinusoidal like the power in the wall. Later machines are Square wave. The tricker TIG machines allow you to adjust the percentage of the + vs - parts of the AC current. Bias it greater percentage + and it 'cleans' dirty metal better. Aluminum easily forms oxides and these melt at a far, far higher temp than the aluminum itself. Bias it - and you get better penetration.

Also, TIG machines generate a high frequency (HF) current that is superimposed on the welding current. For steel and it's alloys the HF is set to start only. The HF more easily jumps the gap and gets the arc started w/o needing to touch the project with the electrode. In Aluminum welding the HF is left on. It helps stabilize the arc and aids in cleaning the weld metal.

[ QUOTE ]
    you dont need gas for this?

first, explain tig welding, then explain this and how its better, lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you need a shielding gas. What you're welding dictates what gas is best. Common are Argon and Helium. The term "Heli-arc" comes from TIG welding with Helium as the shield gas. Helium transfers the power to the metal better than Argon does. It's especially useful when welding Sprint Car aluminum heads back together because it takes ~1/3 less power when using helium instead of argon.

Picture oxy-fuel welding any metal that's weldable, only with an arc instead of a flame. That's TIG welding. The motions are the same, the process is the same. It's pretty easy to teach someone who can gas weld to TIG weld. I've taught several people, it usually take about an hour of discussion and about 10 hours of practice b4 they start to get a handle on how exactly to do it.