Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Homemade waterproof seat covers?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88K5Jimmy, Jun 15, 2006.

1. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I refuse to pay for wet okole waterproof seat covers. So has anybody made their own waterproof seat covers out of neoprene or the similar? I have been searching for the past two days on the internet and everywhere and nobody makes a cover that either totally covers the front and back of the seat, is relatively affordable or makes a cover for my application all together.

I called about the Grant seat covers but they don't cover the entire seat.
    I tried exactseatcovers.com and they don't make a cover for my year model and their customer service sucks.

Anybody?

2. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Neoprene isn't exactly cheap. Neither is waterproofing lines of stitching.
    I'll go out on a limb and say that unless you know someone who can hook you up with free labor, or a smokin' deal on neoprene, you're not gonna find a deal that's significantly cheaper than the Wet Okole cover at the same quality level.

3. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I had trashbags and duct tape on my seats but thats cause the factory fabric is falling apart. The trashbags are starting to fall apart too I think I'm gonna have to replace them with new trashbags. They sure dont breathe very well :haha:

4. berserker

berserker 1/2 ton status

i think canvas is somewhat waterproof that would breath uh i don't know the cost though

5. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

yeah see if you bought wet okoles from teh start you wouldn't have to completely replace them already! duh!

:haha:

the member leper has some nylon woven covers that im pretty sure he scored on the cheap from autozone or similar place. they would'nt be water proof but it would keep crap outta the fabric pretty well.

6. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

And they comfy!:bow:

7. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Get them made. Neoprene actually isn't that expensive if you are using only 2mm which is all you would need. To waterproof the stitching if you want to go that far used tent seam sealer, it's cheap and just brushes on. I'd suggest an auto upholsterer for a nice fit but I bet a wife or girlfriend could sew up something decent for free! Another option is to glue the seams, I've repaired a lot of neoprene this way and it works great, use a little velcro and your laughing.

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

seat covers??

How about an inner tube from a big bucket loader or bus tire??....I bet one of them cut open would cover a bucket seat ....:crazy:

9. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm low tech. I carry a couple of towels.

10. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Plastic seats, then drill a few holes in the low spots...no need for waterproof when they are self draining:wink1:

I have some ducks unlimited ones in my SBlazer they arent neoprene but they are waterproof. I bought them from a friend after he rolled his ZR2. I think he said they were 50 or 60 new though.

11. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Buy some denim ones and then buy several cans of scotch guard or tent water proofing spray and just do that from time to time. I bought a set of cover from seatcoverconnections[​IMG] on eBay and they fit great. Try them and see what they can do for you.

12. 68MUDSTUD

68MUDSTUD OCD with shiny things

i have an idea... use rhino lining!!! haha

13. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

The grant seat covers are one of the best cheap alternatives. The only part of the seat they don't cover is the lower-back side of it... which water will tend to run right off anyway. I had the grant cover on my rear bench seat (when I had one!) and I was in college... left the top off and was gone to school for a month or so... when I came back it had rained and there was probably half a gallon of water pooled in the cover. Carefully removed the cover, poured the water on the ground and checked the seat. It was perfect... not a single drop of moisture got through that cover, even though it sat for weeks. Not bad. They are machine washable and cost a lot less than neoprene ones too. Assuming the lower backs of your seats are water resistant (like vinyl or something) I'd go with the "body bags" from Grant.

j

14. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I have known about them for a while and gave them a call in which he did state that they weren't a full cover, pretty much saying what you just described. I did find a neoprene bucket cover at the local pep girls but I don't know if it is full back or not. I will see once I get home. But what you said about the rear seat is reassuring....I might have to get a Grant for the back seat.

15. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

what kind of seats do you have? the backside of stock seats is pretty water-resistant... as are most off-road-type aftermarket seats...

j

16. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I've got the factory 88 reclining buckets up front and the factory fold and tumble rear seat.