Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Homemade winch mount tow shackles

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Predator, Feb 15, 2002.

1. Predator

Predator 1/2 ton status

Woohoo! Just got the pieces cut out for the winch mount today and should be able to weld it up this weekend. I'm gonna put some tow shackles on the front, should I go with the weld-on D rings or the removable shackles? Anybody have some of either, any thoughts either way?

My K5 Buildup: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/gettin_deep>http://www.geocities.com/gettin_deep</a>

2. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I bought 4 of the big mamma jamma's from northerntool.com, they are rated at like 20,000 pounds or somthing. they weld in. I am welding them to 1/2 thick steel then attaching them to the bumper brackets I had made. I bet I could hang my entire truck off of these D rings, they are 1" thick solid metal tube. And at $9 a piece you cant go wrong!

3. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Do you think welding on tow-hooks is O.K.? Heating up the metal might weaken the metal on the hook and frame/bracket.
    Just a thought.

I'd prefer a bolt-on tow hook.

Any input, anyone?

<font color=white>.</font color=white>Eric
    <font color=white>.</font color=white>Twizted

4. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

There's a guy in town here who put bolt-ons on each side right in front of frame mounts. He takes D rings off and pins a tow bar into same holes. Pretty convenient for towing.

Tom

Don't follow me, I won't make it.