Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

homeowner's associations

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ryan22re, Sep 29, 2005.

1. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

so, i may be changing jobs in a while, and am wondering what to do about my k5.

it's mostly in one piece, but wont drive, lifted in rear, but not in front. dont see any time id have avail. to work on it in the next couple of weeks.

my hoa says that all vehicle repairs must be done in the garage with the door shut. and that they cannont take place any longer than 24 hours. not to mention that it wouldnt fit anyway. the hoa also says that vehicles can be worked on outside of the garage in an emergency, while it may be an emergency to me, but probably not to them. the truck still has tags and insurance on it.

im thinking of places to put it so i could work on it, but all my tools will be at home.

anybody ever dealt with the hoa nazi's and won? should i just say f it and do it anyway and wait for them to complain?

ryan

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've got the same type of rules. I work on the Burb in the drive way all of the time. As long as it's in the back of the driveway where it is not noticable and I don't do loud work too late, no one says anything.

3. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

DO your best to get on the hoa board. Most people don't want to be on them.

Keep you stuff hidden from the neighbors and be curtious. That cures a lot of problems.

4. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

HOA's can be a legal nightmare for hoemowners
    I was president of one and got sued...
    I was a homeowner in one and the HOA got sued... it settled out of court evenually

I "won" the first lawsuit ...but it cost me huge amounts of grief and depreciated home values for a couple of years.... no one wants to live where neighbors screw each other...

Depending on your CC&r's they can take your house away for violating the rules.... it has happened here in Cali several times and been upheld by the courts....

My advice... if you can steer clear of them and/or stay under the radar its the best way... absent that... look for garage space... or at least get written permission if you think you are going to be out of compliance,,, Id go for the emergency fix route this time and then realize HOA's probably arent good for owning a ck5....

I was slow...it took me two times to figure out HOA's can be a drag... especially when attornies become residents...

No one can tell me what I can do (legally)on my thrity acres... and I have (politely) told neighbors to take a flying **** when they were unhappy with my development plans...

cam

5. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

HOAs suck. The town I live in is kind of a giant one because they have some prety ****ty rules about vehicles. The most blatant and annoying one is that you cant park on grass, period, ever. If you do its an $80 ticket. Despite this, my roommates and I have a junkyard going in our back yard. The privacy fence and clever use of tarps and leafy trees keeps everything conceled from the neighbors, plus we live at the very back of a cul de sac so we dont have any traffic to deal with. I would try to build a gate and put ur **** in the backyard, otherwise get some doughnut tires so it'll fit in the garage.

6. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Good luck man. HOA's suck. Most were started with good intentions to keep the neighborhood looking "good" but ultimately you end up being at their whim & mercy, and the best part is that you get to PAY dues to have them tell you what you can't do on your own property. You might as well be renting if you're part of a HOA.

I would NEVER buy a house if HOA was part of the deal. In fact, we're looking to move out of town just as soon as my wife's done with school to get away from the stupid city codes & permits that keep me from being able to built a garage or even pave my driveway.

7. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

You know, I have no problem with my HOA. The rules are reasonable and geared toward maintaining everyone's rights and property values. I have two boats, two K5's (one of which doesn't run) and I work on one of the K5's regularly in my driveway, and have had zero BS from them. That being said, the boats and other K5 are behind the fence which means they can't say sh*t about it. In fact, I and most of my neighbors are less concerned about excess vehicular junkification than the jackass who hasn't painted his house in ten years or doesn't mow his lawn or trim his trees, the cars after all can be easily moved.

Most HOA's are pretty reasonable, it's the asshat neighbor who decides to make your life a living hell because he has a grudge or just nothing better to do with his time that usually causes problems.

If I were you I would just go about your business as usual, if they have a problem with it they are required to give you proper notice (several of them in most counties) before attempting to take any action. If you don't get a notice, don't sweat it, if you do get one, move the truck inside or behind the fence.