Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Homeschooling

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by afroman006, Apr 3, 2005.

1. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

A few recent posts have me curious about what people think about homeschooling. Personally, I think its stupid.

Every homeschooled kid I know is ****ed up and/or not normal. I know enough to draw a general conclusion too. Five people that I went/go to school with and two cousins. Of the school people, three are literal crack addicts and one is a lesbian. My cousins are both flaming I'm-better-and-smarter-than-you liberals and have absolutely NO social skills whatsoever. It makes me sick. One of my cousins is a 16 year old boy and he play you-ge-oh or whatever the hell that game is. The other is a 150 pound 13 year old girl that tells other people how they should eat.

My theory is that homeschooling restricts kid's social interactions and as a result they take a high and mighty attitude that will get their ass kick once introduced into the real world. When they do enter the real world, it is such a shock they go ape-****-crazy and turn into druggies. All the kids came from upstanding families with good parents, I blame homeschooling. In my personal opinion the academic education may be "better" but the lack of social education is a hinderance that will probably never be overcome.

Thoughts and opinions.

2. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

I have homeschooled and have others near that do. If someone homeschools then they need to make sure the kids get alot of social skills with other kids and people because it does make a big difference. The lack of these skill comes from being in a inviroment where the kids do not meet enough people. But homescholing is good if you make sure the kids get out in public enough.

3. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I agree with you 100% All of my cousins homeschool and most all of their friends, which I know. I must first of all say this, my cousins are DUMB!!! I went to a graduation up there (yeah even thought they homeschool they have a graduation) and there were like 3 chicks that had kids, and a couple that were getting married , at 17 and were getting praise from all the parents, teachers and whoever else. HAHA how ridiclous, made me feel REALLY good about myself.

As for my cousins, well none are pregnant or married yet, or addicted to drugs. My guy cousin, whos 15, talks about how he doesnt like school, hes gonna finish next year (when hes 16) and when he finishes hes gonna join the air force and be a pilot, but shows no intrest in flying, or anyhitng of that sort, just playing guitar, skateboarding and snowboarding. His older sister, whos 18 graduated the same year I did, (so 1 year earlier) went to beauty college and after that, didnt really do anyhthing, NOW she has a job a few days a week. When we hang out with my cousins, there is a definate difference in me and my sisters and them. All we hear about them is how its so good up there, and this and that, it gets annoying. They make fun of regualr school and all. I tell my guy cousin that hes gonna be sorry without the proper education (I experienced firsthand with my dad a few years ago) but he just laughs. I guess well see.

4. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

here's are experience,
    I was home schooled from 9th to 12th grade, I had plenty of friends and I did alot better than I did in public school and I turned out normal. I had these two friends that use to give me **** all the time for not going to high school, and those idiots didn't even finish school both of them dropped out. My brother is also home schooled since 9th grade he's in the 10th grade now. He's also doing alot better than he was doing in pubic school, he's also plays baseball for the high school that his suppose to go to and made varsity and he might me going to the school next year since the LASD want's to shut down the program. He also goes to Hapkido classes and plays in Adult league baseball, so he's around alot of people all the time. btw the way the school system here in Los Angeles plan sucks. I admit when I started college after I graduated 5 years ago it was sort of an shock for the first day but nothing were I was traumatized. I made lots of friends the first semester there and still have them as friends to this day.

5. gmcjimmy88

gmcjimmy88 1/2 ton status

Homeschooling can be better than public school. I agree than the social side is what is lost. I feel if you can do the home thing go for it. Get the kids into soccer or dance or something outside of the house to build their social skills. I have two guys that work with me that were both homeschooled. Their social skills shows it. I would love my children to be homescooled but not turn out like these people I work with. Get those home kids out into the public!!!!!!

6. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Not all homeschooling.....I wasnt homeschooled and I have no social skills whatsoever...

7. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

Chris, that's because you haven't been taking your medicine.

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Homeschooling is funny, there always seems to be people totally against it like it's a horrible thing to do to a kid, and they hinge on the social thing. It's not for every parent and every child, but if it's done right, the benefits outweigh the drawbacks, if there are any when it's done well.

"Social interaction" is the single biggest OBVIOUS argument against homeschooling, and unless you're homeschooled on a mountain top and never leave, the argument is usually simply misunderstanding what homeschooling is. Of the people who use the argument, nine times out of ten, have never looked at what homeschooling is other than assuming it's a mom, a kid, and a book in a room all day just by the namesake.
    The "Social skills" argument is pretty BS in my opinion, and ironically, uneducated. Plenty of kids in public schools become LESS social as a result of the forced environment, and there are plenty of people walking the earth and contributing to society today that you can't tell were homeschooled.

What homeschooling is:
    1. Structured curriculum, either directly from the state or approved by the state
    2. Customized pacing for the child (many homeschooled kids advance grades faster than their counterparts)
    3. Positive development of skills without overkill, more rigorous attention to deficiencies
    4. Depending on the parents options, BETTER social activities that develope the child and give them stronger social skills
    5. More respect for various ages of individuals (or, less attention paid to their age), rather than clinging to particular age groups (IE they can socialize easier with people of any age)
    6. The child is more independant as they get older, also less likely to cave in to peer pressure
    7. The child grows up more confident and assertive

There are MANY homeschooling clubs in my area that exist specifically for the purpose of nurturing social interaction, maybe less frequently than public schooled kids, but I actually think that's better.

What public schooling is/does:
    1. Same curriculum as homeschooling, taught to children of different abilities/paces en masse
    2. Overly competitive - stifles growth
    3. Forced social interaction, often enough resulting in Negative social developement (I'm a product of public schools, and I have had to not only re-educate myself in general, but still have trouble overcoming poor social skills).
    4. Lowers confidence
    5. Students dislike learning, tire of it or struggle with it sooner
    6. Child is more likely to succumb to peer pressure
    ---more common urban/suburban areas:
    7. more physically dangerous (although, the last few shootings were in less urban areas)
    8. More prone to gang mentality and acceptance

The good things of public school? I guess I would say the occasional (and more rare) teacher that cares, ummmm, I can't really come up with more, but I'm sure there is. "Socialization" is a factor that cannot just be wieghed by it's existence or non, it should be weighed by it's quality.

My daughter is currently being terrorized in public school 1st grade, along with another child, while the entire class lives in fear that they'll be the next target if they wrinkle their homework or giggle wrong. Why again is that so much better for her social skills? Anyone explain this to me please? She also hates school, and as a result, hates learning. This sounds VERY good for her... hmmm... No wait...

Public school was not much of a positive experience in preparing me for the real world, but I guess everyone's entitled to thier opinion. Heck, I think public school screwed me over for the real world.

Sorry if I seem annoyed, but why would you start an argument about something you clearly have done no research on aside from observing several negatives? I'd bet there are probably a dozen more people you interact constantly with that you have no idea are homeschooled, than the rejects you observe as homeschooling failures.

9. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I think it can be OK if done right. I have not put a lot of thought into it, but I would think that as long as the parent is on track, and keeps the child on track, there shouldn't be too much difference. I know 2 homeschooled kids. There is a night and day difference beteween them. Both are taught by the "mom".

Mom 1, seems to be right on track with the work expected for that kids age/grade. She also takes her on several feild trips that are more educational, than entertaining.

Mom 2, .. well what can I say about mom 2. She has no buisness teaching a dog to heel, let alone "attempting" to educate her child. Although she's a nice person... I can only believe that she will be doing more harm than good. For some reason I picute the kid being more "self taught" than taught. I can't help but have a mental picture of this mom asleep on the couch while this kid is supposed to be "in school".

10. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Home schooling success depends greatly on the aprents I'd imagine. As in everything else, bad parent equal bad kids.

I like the idea of home schooling. Public schools in any form are going the be lax on some things, and can teach odd opinions at times. I learned more in my life from self study than at school. I missed a lot of school and drew pictures in the back of class all the time. I'm cool.

11. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I don't mean to ruffle feathers I just wanted to see what people thought. Using my flaming pinko ****** cousins for example, there mother lets them interact only with people she aproves of, other flaming pinko faggots. This logically explains the arrogance these flaming nerds show towards everyone, even our very-conservative grandparents. I think my family are the only conservatives they know. In its defense I know one homeschooled kid who is normal enough, but that still does not offset the others. RJ's deffinately right, it depends strongly on the parents, but most I have seen are not up to the task.

12. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Sorry, I didn't mean to get so abrasive in my post...

13. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

For awhile it was ok to school the 2 boys but then we got to where they did not get around as many prople so we thought we would send them back to public school. They were also not going to the same one we had problems with. I have saw families with both normal and strange kids. About 600-800 families in our county homeschool. But i think my kids are pretty normal considering the rest of there inviroment. In georgia all you need is to have graduated high school or a ged to school your own kids. To teach other you need at least a bachlors degree. Man i know my spelling has went down hill since i quit teaching. :frown1:

14. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I have not really put much thought into this topic other than casual observations so please do take this with a grain of salt. The children that I've seen homeschooled are generally introverts that seemed way to polite or coddled or Mommy and Daddies little special angel or what have you. The parents generally were the most disturbing part, however.

My wife is one of the two smartest people I know but even she I would not trust teaching EVERYTHING that needs to be taught to our kids. I'm a product of public school and feel that I gleaned a pretty decent education, but be it public or private there is no way on God's green Earth that I would feel I was giving the twins a fair shake by being ostentatious enough to think I knew everything.

The reason teachers specialize in different subjects at the university of their choice is so that they can have a broader base of kowledge from which they draw knowledge to teach.

15. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

I considered a lengthy rant but decided to keep it short .... no, I guess I'll rant.

[rant on]
    Saying "Homeschooling is bad" is the same as saying "Public schools are bad" neither statement has any basis in fact and both are inaccurate.

A school is only as good as the program it's based on. If you don't allow kids to socially interact with others they will not have the chance to develop any social skills ... good or bad. Some kids don't interact socially even when placed in a public school classroom. They will just have to figure it out when they are older and it's alot tougher. Some will never figure it out.

Homeschooling works great if the parents primary motivation is to prepare their kids for life ... but they can't do it alone. By the same token, Public school works if the instructors motivation is to prepare the kids for life .... but they can't do it alone.

Homeschooling happens whether you want it to or not even if you send your kids to public schools. Kids learn by emulating the most important (or influential) people in their lives. If you don't take a role in teaching your kids then you are just gambling on their outcome. Public schools can help with some of the basic teaching but most of it is done when your kids are with you .... in your good moods, your bad moods, your fights, your celebrations. They are watching you (and learning from you) all the time.

Anyone who thinks they can do it alone is an idiot.

I have two older sisters who Home school their kids. 25 kids between the two of them (many were adoped as infants). Some have already gone to college and I don't think any of them have taken the full 4 years to get their first degree. Most of them started college a year or more earliler than their peers. They have be taught social skills from the time they were born and are all capable of interacting with anyone, young or old .... even the really shy ones. Are they perfect? I doubt it... but they are some of the most freindly, well-adjusted, intelligent young people I have ever met and I only get to see them once or twice a year.

I don't think it's because my sisters are the most incredible women on the planet (but they are really cool :D ) I think it's because their goal and motivation was to teach them to get along in this world. That means that they taught the three R's, history, science and all that but they also treated social development with at least as much importance by joining with other Home schooled kids, getting them involved in community projects and programs (Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts were an important part of that) and other things.

So yes, it can be done sucessfully. But people can also screw it up.

Rotten kids come from Public schools and Home schools.

[Rant off]

Now, time for another cup of coffee. :D

16. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

**** you asshole...

Uhhh, I'm cranky when I first get up... :whistle: :rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2005
  17. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I think that it totallly depends on the motivation of the parents and the school that the kids would go to otherwise. I have some friands who have had great success with home schooling. I think that they were part of a structured program and that several groups of parents "took turns" with the instruction. seemed to work well.

18. justhorsinaround

That seems more like a school. Just without the bus stops and playgrounds and cafeterias.

19. T-ROY

T-ROY 1/2 ton status

Dude, you nailed it! My wife and I homeshool our 10 year old son and will for a few more years. We have decided that a public high school will be better, if nothing more than just for the social stuff. My son is three years ahead of his age group in academics and he has been in a Kung-Fu class two days a week for the last five years. We are lucky enough to ave a neigborhood that has ots of kids around and he is well adjusted and able to interact with children and adults. The program we found here is called "Class-Link" and while we homeschool three days a week, Austin goes into classroom two days. The big difference is that the kids are there to learn basics and are not allowed to screw around. There is manditory parent involvement, and a state approved curriculum. Each year, the kids are tested to state levels. Last year, Austin tested at the 4th grade level (By his age, that was where he was), but his reading level was 8th grade. His math scores were great, and the rest of his scores were above the test level. They are able to take ellective classes in science and history, which we do as well. My wife is very good about doing art projects with him, and field trips to places like Fort Vancouver (a historical spot near here) and OMSI (Oregon Museum of Science and Industry).
    We are very concered with our becoming a complete person, so we do focus on the academics, but we pay a lot of attension to the social part as well. I will say that Austin is one of the most polite and genuinely respectful kids you will ever meet. He is a perfectionist, which drives me nuts, but he really is doing well all the way around.
    I was leary of pulling him out of the public school system, but we ran into a bunch of issues that they were not able to reolve. Austin has a genetic eye problem that requires him to wear very thick glasses. That, and the fact that he is quite smart, targets him bullying. I realize that it is part of growing up and that it helps learn to deal with different types of people. I also realize that the public school system, at least in our area, is not equipped anymore to deal with it. Not only was the kid not disciplined, we were made to feel that we were too worried over the fact that my son was coming home with bruises and cuts. Kids had spit on him and were constantly antagonising him. I am not the kind of man to let this slide. I have worked as a bouncer for the past nine years and my personality is not what you would call weak. I am also not the kind of man to blindly fly off the handle.

Afroman, don't worry about ruffling feathers if you strongly believe in what you are saying, but it does sond to me that you could have based your opinions on a more realistic group than a couple of peole that have a common link. In any event, it started a discussion that hopefully everyone brings something out of, if not just a little better understanding of your fellow man.

Just my $.02 for what is worth.
    T-roy

20. justhorsinaround

Excellent for you T-Roy!! Sounds like you have found a program that seems to have the best of both worlds. I just hate to see kids like my wife taught last summer. These are the best of the best type genius kids. They at the age of 10-12 years old were grasping concepts of undergrad physics like it was 1+1= 2, but were not able to deal with kids their own age very well.

I felt most sorry for this one boy that at the little meet and greet at the beginning of the "summer camp" just put his head on the table and was practically crying. Jenn went over to him and asked him what was wrong and the little boy proceeded to tell her that he was tired of being in school. It turns out that he has been shipped from this school to that seminar to this other learning experience since he was six.

His parents are from Mexico but this kid can hardly speak any Spanish anymore as he spends next to no time at home. He doesn't play sports or sing in choirs or have art classes or anything extracurricular. His parents are doing what they think is right as this kid is just wicked smart (to quote Good Will Hunting) but I feel they are doing him a disservice not letting him be a kid.

Yes this is an extreme case, and no it's not homeschooling, but I feel it is homeschooling taken way to far.

Well now you've got me thinking way to hard about this stuff you bastages. :haha: