Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Homework help, very quick, help...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by XHitman396, Aug 24, 2005.

1. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

So im writing an argumentative letter about how i think the drinking age should be 18, its too late if you want to tell me im wrong, it's the only thing i could think of that i could support with 600 words. the problem is that i have to have a person or persons to write it directly to, im not sending it, it's just part of the assignment.. so if i wanted to write to a powerful figure in the government who could actually have enfluence to convince enough people to change a stout law such as this, who would it be, like a legislature? governor? president seems like i just didnt want to do the real effort and figure it out, so im asking you.. thanks for your help, the sooner the better...

2. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Drinking age is determined by each state. Therefor, your state legislators would be the people to petition (http://www.lsb.state.ok.us/ ) . Oh, and you are wrong........... :D

3. XHitman396

really? can others back this up? no mean to insult your intelligence, Rat, but my teacher seems to be the type to tear you down for little mistakes like that, and after all i thought it was the federal government who dealt with it. . .

4. Desert Rat

Well, let me clarify it for you. In the U.S., the legal drinking age is 21. This is a national law. However, it is codified state by state in their respective state laws as required by national law ( http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/alcohol/Community Guides HTML/PDFs/Public_App7.pdf ). In other words, you don't get prosecuted for violating federal law for underage drinking. You get prosecuted for your state statutes. By the way, there are a bazillion sites dedicated to lowering the drinking age. Did you find any of them?

5. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Yep.. It is by state. When I was 18. In CA the drinking age was 21.. I used to go hunting in ID. and we would go in to wy. The drinking age was 18 there,, But that was 20+ years ago.. The fed gov. did pressure the states to make it 21 all over thou..

6. Desert Rat

Now, as to the question of who to petition for a change in the law to be most effective then? Well, since the National Minimum Drinking Age Act of 1984 was the federal law that required states to enact laws making 21 the minimum age, you could petition your congressmen. However, a general rule in laws is that you can make a state law more strict than a federal law, but not the reverse. In other words, a state cannot decide to lower the drinking age if the feds do not approve it. However, if the feds lowered the restriction on states having to have 21 as the minimum age, the state isn't mandated to also lower it. The state can choose to leave it at 21. So, it is a crapshoot as to who would be the more effective person to persuade. I'd say for purposes of your homework, go with your state legislators and also your state congressmen. Explain why you need to convince both in your arguments.

As an aside, this is why California keeps getting their tit in the wringer over medicinal marijuana. California keeps trying to find ways to legalize pot, but the feds aren't having any of it. You cannot legalize a drug that is prohibited federally. So, most of the "laws" passed by Ca. on pot are more symbolic. They might keep a local cop from busting someone on a state charge, but the feds can come in any time and haul somebody off for a drug charge for marijuana. And, the feds withold federal funds to jurisdictions who don't comply with federal laws.

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I can see why 18 y/o 's would want drinking age too be 18. You are legally a adult, you can join the armed services and die for your country, so why shouldn't you be able too buy beer ?? Well, at 18 you don't use the best judgement, and mix that with beer, and it only makes a bad thing worse. Now add a car to the picture. :thinking:

8. XHitman396

thank you for your help, that pretty much sums it up, eh?? any more input needed and i know where to go...

9. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

You should write to Candy Lightner, not a government figure but very influential all the same.

10. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

My only argument is if the drinking age was still 18 Natily Hollaway (sp) would have probably just gone to Panama City.

11. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

When I joined the Corps in 75, we could drink in the clubs on base, but still had the state drinking age to deal with off base. That still seems like a good system to me.How can we say 18 year olds are old enough to carry loaded weapons, be sent thousands of miles away from their homes, be killed or maimed for their country, but they can't buy a beer????? How bout we raise the entry age into the military to 21????

12. google

google 1/2 ton status

Don't know if anyone said it, but I would suggest that if it makes no difference, make the letter out to Arnald in cali. In his home country, you can drink at 18 and he turned out fine. I'm sure he would back ya :D

13. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Drinking age here is 19 and I doubt there are any meaningful differences between Canadian and American stat's regarding alcohol related mayhem, injury, or death...

The simple truth is that those that want alcohol when underage have no real trouble finding it. How many 18 year olds here have never had a drop of alcohol? I had my first beer with my Dad at age 15...

Rene

14. Desert Rat

Well now, that explains a lot....... :D