Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Homework help

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by gofergurl, Jun 25, 2006.

1. gofergurl

gofergurl 1/2 ton status

I'm taking a summer public speaking class and am doing a group speech on children. Actually our topic is how parents and children communicate. I am doing ages 4 to 6 and don't really have any information about it. I was wondering if I could possibly get all you dads with children in this age range to help me out some. My questions are:
    How does your child communicate with you?
    How do you communicate with your child?
    What ways does your child communicate with you (words, drawings, etc.)?

The help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

My youngest is 5. She's quite the character.

FWIW, you've picked a really easy assignment. 4 to 6 year olds communicate as follows-

1. If they want something, regardless of how busy you are, they pester you until you finally cave in and give them what they want so they will STFU.

2. If, by chance, you actually say "No" to something they want, they will cry. If that doesn't work, they'll go ask your wife, even if she's standing right in front of you.

3. All communication with adults is done with a whiny tone. All communication with other little kids is done at the top of their lungs.

4. House rules don't apply if an adult is more than 12 feet away.

5. "GO TO SLEEP!!!!" obviously translates to "Fock around on your bed for AT LEAST 40 minutes before falling asleep with 23 stuffed animals tucked under your blanket".

6. "EAT YOUR DINNER!!!!!" obviously translates to "Pretend your fork is a man who meets the nice spoon lady and they both enjoy singing and throwing peas on the floor and swimming in pools of milk on your plate".

7. "Don't mess up the freshly-cleaned *fill in the blank*" obviously translates to "Mess it up JUST ENOUGH so you can pretend it was accidental, even if you had the same "accident" 13 times last week".

8 - All the REALLY important stuff comes up when an adult is on the phone.

Basically, if you tell a 5 year old something they don't want to hear, they will cry, whine, or outright ignore you. But if they have something they want YOU to hear, you'd better drop everything and listen.

It's that simple.

3. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Yep, that about sums it up, in a nutshell. :thumb:

4. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I guess we're a little bit lucky. Our kids for the most part do what they are told. What is really yankin our chain lately is that they don't pay attention to what they are doin and things like glasses fallin right out of their hands and stuff like that. Case in point just now a whole bag of popcorn on the floor cuz they weren't payin attention.

But back on topic, basically our kids are rather verbose and even though sometimes Elora speaks very softly we basically talk through issues.

As odd as it sounds we talk. Don't get me wrong, there have been groundings from bicycles and plenty of time spent in his room "thinking" about his latest spat of idiocy, but for the most we just talk.

5. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

In all seriousness, we have it pretty good too. Our girls are pretty well behaved, and are pretty good about waiting until we are done talking until they want to tell us something. That's not always the case, but they're really not much trouble. About the only real issues that come up regularly are the little spats that happen between siblings... picking at eachother.

How does your child communicate with you?
    Our oldest that's now 8, had an amazing vocabulary at that age. Frankly, she just told us what she needed to tell us, like any adult would do. Our youngest seems to have more of a vocabulary that I would "expect" from a 4 yo. Sometimes she throws out a sentence that could have come from an educated adult, but then the next sentence she is hunting for the words to explain what she wants to say. So, I would have to say her vocab, currently, is hit and miss.

How do you communicate with your child?

Just like I would with any adult. I don't do the baby talk thing. If anything, I may speak in amore enthusiastic tone, one where I might drag out a word. An example would be:

You diiiiid, woooooow

But other than that, I use mostly an adult vocabulary with her, unless I know the word will totally cause her miss the point. I usually don't avoid big words, because I know that she will ask if she doesn't understand it.. which will then give me an op to explain it to her, which will in turn help her to learn it.

What ways does your child communicate with you (words, drawings, etc.)?

Verbal, with some hand gestures. She make try to shape out an object she's talking about, or point to it if she can. More often she will say what she needs. Another thing she will use is a "recall" for lack of a better explaination. She might not know what to call an object or situation etc, but she will try to give me clues that I will remember so that I can recall it and answer her. An example of that might be:

Remember when we went to the party, and then we stopped at that place where the man with the funny hat was feeding that dog.

She will direct her "clues" until I say what it is she wants to say, but can't simply because she may not know the name or word etc.

Hope this helps

6. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

damn can can. You about summed it all up right there. My little one just turned 4. Everytime she wants something and she goes to the ole lady and she does not give it to her she call's her some names and storms up stair to her room. Some times it is funny but most of the time she says somethings that are little to adultish.. gee i wonder where she gets that from.

7. gofergurl

gofergurl 1/2 ton status

I shall now take all of this information plus what I got from other people I know and turn it into a speech. Thanks for the help and I'll let you guys know how I do on it.

8. gofergurl

gofergurl 1/2 ton status

Our group ended up getting an A on our speech. We didn't get to practice it before we gave it. I was shocked at how well we did. The teacher liked that I thought outside the box and surveyed you guys.

9. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

Did you work the phrase "screaming poop machines" into your speach?

10. gofergurl

gofergurl 1/2 ton status

Nope. That thought didn't even cross my mind. :haha::haha: