Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Honda question.............

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dontoe, Apr 3, 2006.

1. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

No, I ain't got no Nipponese car.
    All American for me............Chebbies, Harley, Merc motors on my boats!

Just the Generator I bought for my Mom (before she passed away of course) sat for about six years with gas in it.........................my fault. I thought I cut the gas off, but no! It has like one hour on it and the carb bowl is all corroded up inside, and it won't run unless ya drip gas down the throat. What should I do? Buy a new carb for it or is it rebuild-able? Oh it is a 12 HP single cylinder, 8000 watt.

I do have Nikon/Sony cameras and stuff though........

2. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I work for a power equiptment repair shop, let me see how I can help,
    Well I think at the minimum a rebuild is in order. Take the carb off the engine and take and take the bowl and the needle seat out. Douce these in carb cleaner to get them as clean as possible. I find a soft tooth brush and a rag works best, also a wire wheel on a bench grinder works well with the bowl nut. Then find every single little hole/cavity/orafice in the carb and spray through it with carb cleaner. Then I like to chase all the little holes with pipe-cleaners and the metal incerts from twist-ties(peel off the paper part). The blown some more carb cleaner on them, then blow through them with compressed air. Repeat until you are sure everything is clean (it may need to sit over night soaking especially the bowl).

Basically thats it. If it doesn't work or it doesn't run well then you still might have a blockage. I also recomend replacing the fuel filter and cleaning out the gas tank. If you still can't get anywhere then get a new carb.

3. dontoe

Kool :waytogo: ...........................thanks! :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

4. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Don't forget the fuel shut off valve-its probably gunked up too.

5. dontoe

Thanks, the first thing I did when I realized it was on was, drained all the gas out the bottom of the carb, hoping to flush out the lines and carb.