Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hone for light cyl rust?

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by Steve_87K5, Aug 30, 2006.

1. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

Had block bored a few yrs back, now very light rust on cyls even though I oiled them. Need suggestion/part number for the correct type of hone to clean up syls. thanks.

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

"Ball" hone..

Use a "ball" type hone,(looks like dingleberries on a bottle brush!)--its easier for a novice to use,and removes less metal than the usual 3 stone type hones...it probably will only take a few seconds to remove the rust...use diesel fuel as a lubricant while honing..

Use HOT water and liquid dishwashing soap to clean the metal powder out of the cylinders,and block!---DONT use gas or solvents like brake-cleen,it'll just make it sink into the pores of the metal,and it'll ruin the rings and pistons faster than you can say"whoops",fisrt time you fire it up!--SOAP AND WATER is the ONLY thing that removes it all!..when you can wipe the cylinder with a clean white terrycloth towel,and it comes out with no black residue,its completely clean!...

I use wheel bearing grease or STP on freshly honed engines I can't put together right away,but some of them rusted anyway,UNDER the grease!.:doah: --it helps to have a insulated/heated shop,mine isn't,and things "sweat" in there..:crazy:

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If it is very light rust use a fine steel wool pad.