Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Honing advice needed.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by y5mgisi, Mar 14, 2006.

1. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

So im going to try my hand with the hone(3-stone) on my 500. Ive heard that i should use solvent as my "lube" for this. Is that true? Im pretty sure i can make the 45* cross hatch happen, but when does piston slap start becoming an issue?

2. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

i dunno about a "solvent", but i guess that wd40 and atf have solvents in them, and i have had good luck with a 50/50 mix of it. have to buy the wd40 in liquid form. too tough to get too much out of the can. then wipe down cylinder walls with no-lint paper towels with a little straight atf.

maybe just snake oil, but works for me.

3. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

ttt Thanks anymore info? or experence.

4. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

I've always used plain engine oil.

5. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

crap...some one just told me today not to use engine oil casue it was" too heavy". Mabey i should call a machine shop?

6. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

That would be your best bet. No sense trusting a bunch of yahoos on a message board that could possibly be intentionally trying to screw you up. ;)

Call a performance machine shop, if you can find one.

7. wildmouse216

wildmouse216 1/2 ton status

I had never honed an engine before but they looked like whetstones to me so I used the whetstone oil that my dad used to sharpen knives with. I don't know what it was but it worked fine and I put 200.000 miles on that engine after I rebuilt it. It smoked a little but still ran fine when I pulled it out to replace it.

8. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Ya dont get me wrong im not saying yalls advice isnt worth taking or anything like that... its just that wit all sorts of conflicting answers and no "this is what works and why" type responses(not just from this board) MAbey i should be doing a litle more reaserch. Thats all im saying.

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Heck, after reading about heating blocks up to operating temp to bore them, I'm going to feel like I'm doing something wrong having something bored without that. lol :)

10. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Exactly my point. You can get all kinds of "well, my pappy always did it this way..." but there's no substitute for professional advice.

11. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

My hones have instructions that say not to use any solvent or ATF.
    Using types of lube like those to hone with will cause the bonding agent in the hone material to break down and then they just basicly dissolve and won't last as long as they should.
    I use Vegatable oil to hone with.

12. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Cool good idea. i need to buy a new set of hones anyway. BTW i still havnt called around about it. Thanks

13. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

call ernie at the machine shop at baxter auto parts. tell him colby w/ the 6.2 told you to call. i think i funded his entire paycheck for this year, so he likes me. 503 285 2548. :D good good guy. knows his stuff. ttt

14. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ok, this is what i do for a living. When i use a stone hone such as you're going to use i spray WD40 into the bore then start honing spraying more on occassion. Also you're looking for a 30* cross hatch pattern not a 45* as you've said.