Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hood alignment help....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Impex, Jan 26, 2001.

1. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

I bought new hinges from the dealer (ouch) And i guess i did not mark the old once very good + the old hinges were so worn it probally would not matter to much anyway. But the drivers side of the hood is almost perfect and the passangers is giving me problems. ANy tips for alignments on hoods? thanks allot you guys!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> I've had mine off twice for my engine swap and it wasn't the easiest to get back on right, the best I can tell you is take your time and set the hood down nice and easy when you're checking the fit. Make little adjustments at a time and good luck.

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

[​IMG]

3. FWP

FWP CRS

Impex's post made me think of a problem I have with my 75K5. The back edge of the hood sits 1/2" too high, and the adjustment on the hinge is as low as it will go. Is this related to the hinge spring or something else?????????

[​IMG]

4. djohnsn

djohnsn 1/2 ton status

I have the same problem with my 78. Replacing the hinge did not help. Of course, the replacement hinge was from a junkyard, so maybe I swapped a bad hinge for another bad hinge. Any suggestions?

D. Johnson
    78 Blazer

5. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple>You kinda have to adjust both sides no matter what.....you know what I mean ? To adjust it properly,you have to raise one side to lower the other or vice versa. Does this make sense ? I don't know how else to explain it. Can anybody make this clearer ?</font color=purple>

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

[​IMG]

6. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

If the adjusment has bottomed out, the center hinge pin is probably worn out. You can open up the adjusment with a dremel to to get a little more adjust out of it but not much. One problem I had with mine when I put it back together was the body was shifted from the front radiator supports. (I already adjusted the radiator support all the way over and the gap was still uneven) This caused the hood to have a 1/2" gap on the right back side and a 1/2" gap on the left front side. Had to loosen all the body mounts and jack the body over to the passengers side to get the hood to sit straight and even between the fenders. (the movement was only about an 1/4" to get it to line up)