Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hood and fender, same for 73-80?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by LittlePig, Apr 17, 2003.

1. LittlePig

LittlePig 1/2 ton status

Looking at a nice truck this weekend. Only downside is it has damage to the right side. Current owner says right front fender and hood both need to be replaced to be good. I haven't seen it, so I don't know if the core support or fender skirt are wasted too. If the internals are not wasted, are all 73-80 fenders and hoods the same? And, how hard is it to hang a fender/hood when working alone (wife probably won't be much help). And, how long is it likely to take? Any input would be appreciated.

2. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    are all 73-80 fenders and hoods the same?

[/ QUOTE ]

according to my LMC catalog, YES 73-80 are the same they change in 81.

[ QUOTE ]
    how hard is it to hang a fender/hood when working alone (wife probably won't be much help).

[/ QUOTE ]

it will be next to impossible to hang a hood by yourself /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    how long is it likely to take?

[/ QUOTE ]

should take 2-4 hours it's not bad at all, the only tricky part is getting the hood alined and removing the inner bolt that holds the fender on, this is only accessable from under the dash /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

hood and fenders and bumpers and hinges and radiator suppports all same design 73-80,
    minor things arent same and changed: grilles and lower fillers and etc.

the only oddballs are the square light 80 models, but not that common, but evne so its just grille and support that differ from all the rest of the 73-80 trucks

not as complicated really as the 67-72 gmc and chevy trucks fenders and hoods were, all 67 68 use the slant front hoods and single lip fenders, 69-72 gms use the 68 chevy single lip fenders, 69-72 chevy oddball and use a new double lip fender, all 69-72 use flat face hood and gmc had to have a new top filler bar to use the flat face hood some screwed on and some riveted on, bumpers differ 67 68 too between gmc and chev, and then from 69 chev to 71 chev was a new difference in bumpers
    new double lip fenders for chevy 69-72 were for use with the large aluminum overlapping grille shell design that was unique to chev clips

it is very possible to hang hood yourself, im 140lbs scrawny and hang em my self, tricky but not horrible, takes about 15 or 20 at most to swap two hoods, it depend son how many times youve done it, you get a feel for adjustments and so forth eventually, i swapped two driver side doors the other day, took about 20 mins to do that, had to shim lower of the 79 door onto the 81 cab, the 81 door on the 79 can needs same thing but doesnt matter since its parts, 81 door fine cept for a dent, i know a retired old man smaller than me a block away thats completely disassembled and now is reassembling an 81 c10 shortfleet all by himself with no concrete floor or tractor, he shaved the bed lights away(welded over them) and is roll panning it and lowering it and 5 speeding it and big blocking it with fresh 454,
    its pretty far back together now and a nice maroon fresh paint, he is a body man and was for years and years and still messes with it.
    ill have to get some pics of the truck
    80 and older hoods are easier to swap alone than 81-87 hoods, before 81 the springs and hinges are all one piece, later they went separate and are a pain to keep up and stick in bolts and start them when are also trying to hold up hood and hold it still. you kinda lay middle part of hood on your sholder and put your arm over top of it and back towards rear corner so can pull or push hood around on the side youre working on. youll figure it out real quick /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
    follow the bolt head washer paint line pattern outline, not the pattern on the hood itself fromt he hinge outline, when swapping hoods

good luck

4. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Accually the first couple of yrs (deff '73 & '74, prob '75, maybe as late as '76 or '77) have a different inside fender. Not the inner fender, but the inside of the fender itsself. On those first yrs the washer jug slipped into a hole in the fender and did not use a bracket. I know '73 & '74 use the old style and '78-'80 used the new. I think '76 was the change over but I don't remember for sure. Just something to keep in mind.

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

thats cool i never noticed yet, but then ive only had one pre-77 truck up here, they rare find nowadays. it maybe changed in 77 like the doors did,

maybe. hmm...

cool /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif