Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hood Brace Kit

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazerGuy, Jun 8, 2000.

1. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

What is it? It's on p.22 of the LMC catalog. It says that it prevents kinks. What the heck does that mean? Thanks in advance.[​IMG]

http://www.blazer.coloradok5.com is now under construction[​IMG]
    YEEEE HAWWWW[​IMG]

2. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

It keeps the hood from bending in half at the sides. When the hood gets badly rusted the constant tugging on the front will cause it to buckle in the middle, these braces compensate for the loss of rigidity.

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Also need to keep your higes well oiled or it will kink, it happened to mine before I got it. the supports seem to work though

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Post '73 Chevy truck hoods will get a kink in them about 2/3's of the way back if you don't keep the hood hinges lubricated. They kink at the "weak spot" engineered into the hood, to prevent it from coming through the windshield and decapitating you in an accident.

If you look under the hood, along the side edges, you can see where the supporting metal along the edge is dimpled to create the weak spot. Those braces will help hoods that are already starting to kink but they eliminate the safety feature that GM built into the hood. I don't know about you guys, but I want my hood to stay outside in the event of an accident! [​IMG]

Keep those hinges lubed!

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

5. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

If you have an older K-5 or K-10 with the huge hinges and larges springs, if you dont keep the pivot points well greased they will bind and your hood will fold in the middle, mine was like that when I got it, banged it back down flat, welded up the cracks and holes, then added my own stiffners, 1" angle iron. Works like a champ

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>