Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hood-Fender Gap Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RiceDaddy, Sep 11, 2003.

1. RiceDaddy

RiceDaddy Registered Member

I'm going to mount a CB antenna with a hood mount on the driver's side up near the cowel. The antenna mount sticks through the gap between the fender and the hood. The problem I have is that the gap on the passenger side is wider than the gap on the driver's side. The hood lines up pretty good up front by the grill(the gap between the fender and hood is pretty even on both sides). But, up by the windshield the gap is much more narrow on the driver's side. Almost like the hood isn't quite sitting straight. The hinges look like they are not bent. I also loosened the bolts holding the hood to the hinges and tried to position it side-to-side. The holes in the hinges, though, aren't really designed to allow you to move the hood side to side, only front to back.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to even out the hood to fender gap up by the windshield? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif 1980 K5

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Look in my webshots, I've got pics of my burb with the cb antenna mounted between the hood and fender /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I have not noticed any rubbing or anything and its been there for the yr and a half i've owned it.

3. RiceDaddy

The problem is that there really isn't enough gap to get that hood mount to fit in there. Also not enough gap to run the coax through without pinching it.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You're probably missing one of the rubber wedges that center the hood. They attach to the inside upper lip of the fender and should keep the gaps even if they're all there. I am pretty sure there should be two of the wedges per side...

The hinges have very little lateral support or strength.

Rene

5. RiceDaddy

I guess I didn't realize that those rubber wedges help center the hood. Currently I don't have any. just the round adjustable stops on either side up by the grill.

Maybe if I install them, it will center up the hood. What do you think?

6. tRustyK5

That's what they're there for /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

7. RiceDaddy

Rene, Thanks very much for the help.......but

I just installed four new rubber wedges in the factory locations (I was missing all four). It didn't really help any. Still a larger gap on the passenger side. Enough that I can't run the coax in between without pinching it.

What should I try now?

8. tRustyK5

I'd guess you'll have to try and adjust the hinge bolts where it attach's to the hood. I have the same problem with my hood. I replaced the fenders and just last night put the 4 rubber wedges on. It helped a little but my hood still doesn't line up nicely either. My hood has been on and off a few times...

I would think if the hood was moved 'up' on the one side and down on the other it would have to line up better.

Rene

9. toy4fun

toy4fun 1/2 ton status

You might check to see if your fender and door line up, you may have lost a spacer in the fender or have room for one more spacer to give you enough room for the cable/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

10. RiceDaddy

I got it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks again for your help Rene. After work today I loosened the bolts that hold the hood to the hinges. Slid the driver's side back a little and brought the passenger side forward just a little too. It lined everything up perfectly. All is well now.

Thanks for helping me get over my incompetence.

11. tRustyK5

Glad to help...I'll be tweaking my hood a bit on the weekend./forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Rene

12. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

I have a large gap on each side of my hood to the fenders, larger than stock, but most people only notice the hood...

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif