Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hood insulation

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 82454burb, Aug 14, 2002.

1. 82454burb

82454burb Registered Member

does anyone know how much heat I will loose by removing the underhood insulation. My 454 runs very hot im looking to do anything I can to help it . btw new motor, new rad ,good fan, new waterpump

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I'm pretty sure that the insulation is more for damping the sound from the engine than keeping heat in the engine bay. If you have that big of a problem there must be something else going on, and removing that insulation will probably not do much at all.</font color>

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

do you like the paint on you hood, because if you rig runs that hot maybe you need to look at something else as the problem... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

4. 82454burb

its not overheating but it is running hot I would just like to find a way to cool the motor more. Do all big blocks run hot ?
    Erick

5. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

My 454 Suburban runs 205 all the time... except when REAL cold, then a little cooler. Hood insulation is just for sound really, a little to keep the hood cool. But, if your paint bubbles or blisters from the engine heat... you have other problems to worry about. Neither my Blazer or Suburban have hood insilation anymore. Just a sponge in my opinion.

What temps are you running?

Ken H.

6. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

What temp thermostat are you running?

7. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

You can do some stuff to cool it down.

But first, the hood mat. If you remove it and the motor is running that hot your paint will discolor. Also, the paint will dry out and fade faster. It may even start peeling.

You can run coated headers. This will reduce heat quite a bit. Next, a high volume fan will do nice. You can also wrap your headers but that's a bad idea if it sees any water.

8. 82454burb

the truck runs about 210 I believe 180 thermostat .The heat under the hood is just so much thats why I was going to remove the insulation.To try to get some of the heat out
    thats why Im askin you guys

Erick

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

New radiator, how big is it?? Good fan, what is it?

10. 82454burb

It is the largest stock radiator recore'd when the motor went in (2 months) it has the factory clutch fan and a full factory shroud
    Erick