Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hood latch trick???? update

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wfranke, Jul 10, 2004.

1. wfranke

wfranke Newbie

anyone know a trick for opening a k5 hood with a broken release latch cable???? im dyin here ok the cable is intact but the mechanism will not release. there is slack in the cable leading me to believe mayb the hood wasnt shut with enough force to fully engage the mechanism. is this possible and yeah ive tried just about jump[in on the hood to get it to open.

2. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

Re: hood latch trick????

I don't know for sure, but maybe if you take the grill out you could get to it? You could look up in there before you take the grill out to see if you can get to the latch or cable.

3. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

If any of the cable is still sticking out from the latch area, all you need to do is grab it some long needle nose pliers. Once you get ahold of it, pull the cable away from the latch, or twist it, which will pull it too. This should make it release. We use a tool in the Fire Dept that is basically a rod with a T handle. In the end of the rod it has a groove like the back of an arrow. We slip it through the grill and get the cable in the notch/groove and twist.. works evry time. Comes in handy for opening a hood after a car fire, or in a wreck where the other part of the cable is binding.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Hmmm--our local fire department uses the big pick ax,I'm not joking!I watched them chop a big hole in a chevy cavalier hood to put out an electrical fire in wal-marts parking lot--the owner was like /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gifHEY! what are you doing to my car!--They said "Its OK lady,its junk anyway,and its insured"!
    I later asked one of the firemen why they did that--he said it takes too long to try and find where the cable is,and whether they can get it open before its fully engulfed,and other cars or property could get burned,a public safety issue. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
    We get this a lot in the repair shop--the owner never tells us the hood release is stuck or broken,we spend half a day trying to get the hood open so we can fix it--sometimes banging or prying while a helper pulls on the cable works if its not broken--if not,time for grille surgury,and many of the latches are very well hidden by sheet metal-- /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

5. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

I just pull an Arthur Fonzarelli and punch the hood about two inches to the left of center a couple times. Works like a charm and I feel cool doing it. My wife says I'm a retard, but...

6. BlazerWheels

BlazerWheels 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I just pull an Arthur Fonzarelli and punch the hood about two inches to the left of center a couple times. Works like a charm and I feel cool doing it. My wife says I'm a retard, but...

[/ QUOTE ]That's my favorite method!!!

But do you say "AAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!" As you do it??? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Yup, it only works if you say "AAAAYYYYYY".

Eventually, I'm going to hood pins, but with a junked tranny, hood pins are low on the priority list.