Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hood molding install question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Da-Rock, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Da-Rock

Da-Rock Registered Member

Hello all,

Normally I would post this question to a classic car forum, but I get responses here and non over there.:laugh:

I have some hood molding, (straight down the center of the hood) that I am uncertain how to install. The small metal posts fit just perfect into the holes, but how do you secure them? Do you bend the posts out or seals them with silicon etc?

This is supposed to be the molding for a 47-55 Chevy pickup, but the molding seems much longer then the indentions in the hood.........

2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I thought normally thattype of moulding has what they call "speed nuts" to fasten the posts from the backside of the metal your attaching it to?

3. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

yeah, all i can think of are those little plastic nuts that go onto the posts which are barely threaded - it's what holds the trim and other lesser important parts onto my 83.

4. nemesis_pyros

nemesis_pyros 1/2 ton status

I'm thinking speedy nuts is what you need. Thats what I'd use anyway.

I'll try to remember to take a look at mine this sunday, unfortunately its an hour away at my dads place. but if you still need to know sunday i can find out for sure.

5. R77K10

R77K10 Banned

speed nuts yes, they ar emetal in the 70s and 80s, dirt common, can buy them at any hardware store, large or small one, they have drawars and drawars of these things different sizes and such

underside of the hood where it is double wall and you cant get to the studs you will have ot cut the metal to get clearance to them so you can install the nuts, or drill with big drill bit and put the nut on the socket and extension and force them on the stud while turning clockwise so the nuts will bite into the studs and thread on

that is how they work

good luck

6. Da-Rock

Hmmm, these aren't threaded...in fact the posts are rectangle and thin as heck. My first impression is to bend them out and then apply silicon, but it just feels cheesy....:o

I will keep looking at it and see if I can make sense out of it.....(dang old cars:D )

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Barrel clips..

You probably need a clip known as a "Barrel" clip..its a cone shaped clip,(looks a little like an old oak wooden Barrel)...and the sides have slots in them instead of being solid,and they have a flange on top so they wont fall thru the hole..

They pop into the hole in the hood,and you press the "pins" on the moulding into the I.D. of the Barrel clip,and its springy serrated steel sides grip onto the pins, and hold the moulding on..

They are a godsend for the "K5" emblems on the front fenders,you can toss the "speednuts" that are nearly impossible to reach or get a wrench on,and install them from the outside,simply by pushing the emblem into the clips..

You may have to go to a good body supply store to find Barrel clips,and they might only sell full boxes of them...they are not used often enough to be in those "drawers" at Lowes or Home Depot like the speednuts and other moulding clips are...I sold tons of them at the parts store...:crazy:

8. Da-Rock

Awesome info guys...........thanks a million. I will check this out and see if I can get my noob butt to get er done!:D

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

suggestion..

You might try a local body shop...they likely have a few of those Barrel clips hanging around,and will sell you a few,saving you from having to try and tell the counterman at the store what it is you need,( his face->:what: :dunno: )...and from having to buy a whole box of them..that's what I'd do..bring my body shop owner friend a few beers...:D